Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    aditya999's Avatar
    aditya999 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 29, 2020, 01:17 PM
    maintaining green card abroad during pandemic
    1)Did USCIS announce any relaxation on the duration a green card holder is permitted to stay outside the country (without an Advance Parole) before the card becomes invalid?
    Prior to the pandemic, it used to be one year.

    2)What are the benefits of physically surrendering the green card after it becomes invalid on account of overstaying outside the country?

    3)If someone already acquired a Visitor Visa before they got the green card, does the visa get canceled upon receiving the green card or can it be used for visiting USA, in lieu of the invalidated green card?

    4)What is the procedure to reinstate the green card after it becomes invalidated due to overstaying?
    newacct's Avatar
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21
    Full Member

    Oct 8, 2020, 12:20 AM
    1. There has been no change. However, the time is not an absolute limit. It was always the case that the officer can let the person in even if they have been out for more than 1 year without a Re-entry Permit or SB-1 visa, and that is still the case.
    2. One benefit might be that you will no longer be a resident of the US for tax purposes, so you will stop being subject to US taxes on your worldwide income.
    3. In principal, the visa can still be used. But it will probably bring up lots of questions.
    4. Like I said above, you can simply travel to the US with your green card even if you have been out for more than a year, and the immigration officer or immigration judge can let you in if they believe you have not abandoned residence. Or, you can try to apply for an SB-1 returning resident visa at a US consulate abroad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green Card status for student studying abroad [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, my 19 year old son studying abroad; he is a green card holder; he has to stay outside the USA for about 5 years; how can he maintain his Green Card status? Thanks. BK

On H1B wanting to get married abroad then apply for Green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a British Citizen here in America on a h1B visa for the last 5years. I'm having a destination wedding in May 2010 in the Caribbean Curaçao. We were planning on getting legally married over there. Will I have any problems coming back and applying for my Green card if I get married...

Travel abroad with green card [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my wife want to a trip soon, she a condition green card holder and have a valid passport from her country. I have read that all required of you is a valid passport and green when entering the states. Her problem is that her passport doesn't have my last name, but the green card does. My...

H1, married, wife abroad; now both in the US w/green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had H1 and got married in July 2005. My wife remained abroad. I filed my taxes as "single" in 2005. I and my wife entered US in Jan 19,2007 with green card. (we were approved for permanent status on 1/9/07) . Can I file my taxes for 2006 as married-joint, even though I had H-1 and my wife...

View more questions Search