Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    usma's Avatar
    usma Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 14, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Lost H4 approved document
    Hi -
    I am on H4 dependent visa my wife is on H1 visa. We both applied for extension of visa and been approved by USCIS on October 10. I came to know this by USCIS website. On September 25 my wife asked me to leave the house and I left to my friends place in kingston RI.About 3 days back she sent me divorce notice, I called her to send my H4 approved document, but she refused to send the document. Now I am without any visa status document with me. She replied now and says she lost my H4 document sent by uscis. Can I get the copy of approval from uscis and how long does it take? How should I apply for that. How many dollars should I pay.
    Please reply ASAP I am in urgent need of the document.
    Your answer will be appreciated
    Thank you!
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Nov 14, 2008, 10:56 AM

    Read this carefully and please do not post the same question over and over...

    Ask police to escort you to the house and get your documents. As long as you are still "legally married", she has no right to stop you from entering the house but you need to get police to escort you there as she might accuse you of stealing or etc.

    If you search the house and find your documents are lost or destroyed, then you must file police report. After that you have to contact USCIS in person. Normally USCIS won't re-issue this type of document... this is a complicated procedure, you may need an attorney to do this follow up on this part.

    Maybe it's not worth it because she is filing for the divorce and your marriage will end in approx six months. Though H-4 extension is valid for over a year or two years but your legal status as H-4 is terminated as soon as the divorce is final. What you should do is either leave the country as soon as the divorce is final, or file a change of status to other non-immigrant status.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home Rental - Lost TV warranty document [ 4 Answers ]

Long story short... We were renting a house (that we had an offer in on) until our current house sold in another state. Our house ended up not selling and the people whose house we were renting decided to relist the house we were living in (since we couldn't buy it). When we started the...

Can I-485 be approved bfore I-140? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I filed my I-140 and I-485 concurrently. According to the processing times issued by the USCIS, the I-485 might get processed before the I-140. My questions is: what happens then? Will the USCIS put my I-485 on hold until the I-140 is processed? Can the I-485 be approved before the I-140...

Applied for COS F2 to F1, H4 approved. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have applied for change of status from f2 to f1 to start full time studies from end of Sept, but I am worried if I will get the approval on time. I got approval for H4 which is to start on Oct1st. In case I don't get the f1 approval on time will I be eligible to start school from end of...

View more questions Search