Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    asteroid's Avatar
    asteroid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 8, 2009, 08:12 PM
    J-1 (Two-yr foreign residency waiver) from home country
    An individual on a J-1 Exchange visitor US visa ( who is subject to Two year foreign residence requirement) is normally required to obtain a waiver of the Two year requirement, if he/she wants to obtain a change of visa status to certain visa classes

    One of the categories/reasons under which one can request a waiver is the "No obligation to return" to home country. For this, one needs to obtain clearance from certain government agencies of his/her home country.

    We know that, we can approach our Consulates/Embassy in the United States, get their endorsement, request the clearance from our govt and turn in the papers to our consulates in the US, who in turn, forwards it to the US dept of state.


    If the J-1 visa holder, returns to home country *Before* obtaining/applying for the waiver, whom(instead of Consulate/Embassy) should he/she approach. i.e. Consulate/embassy in home country does not exist. Who verifies our paperwork and forwards them to the US dept of state?

    Thanks much
    Best regards
    asteroid's Avatar
    asteroid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 14, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Anybody here with a similar experience OR an attorney/lawyer who knows what to do? Please helps us.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there tax deduction for home loan in other country for property in that country? [ 6 Answers ]

If a person is carrying a home loan in some other country (outside US) for some property in that country is there any tax relief/deduction from IRS for such person ?

Tax deductions on vacation home in foreign country [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can we deduct the mortgage interest & property taxes paid on a vacation home purchased in a foreign country (India)? Also, what happens in the following scenario: * the home is under construction * A mortgage is taken and monthly payments have started * Since the home is under...

US Employer in A foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you in advance for responding to my 2 questions. Currently I am living and employed by a US firm in UAE the company which is currently withholding taxes I have not worked for my employer in the states only in UAE. Does the company have to withhold taxes? Also, the company just recently...

Residency / Foreign Income Pickle [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm hoping someone on this board can shed some light on my situation, as I don't have access to a qualified tax professional in my location. I am a Michigan resident; I married a Pennsylvania resident last May ('07) and we lived for a very short time in Ohio - where we had attended...

Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (under Section 212(e) of [ 1 Answers ]

Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement (under Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as Amended)

View more questions Search