Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    kwicslvr's Avatar
    kwicslvr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 24, 2018, 09:20 AM
    Is my girlfriend a US citizen?

    Her grandmother was born in the US in Boston. She became a nurse and worked in Boston. She married a doctor and they moved to Argentina. Then my girlfriends mom was born in Argentina. So she would be a US citizen correct?

    Then my girlfriend was born in Argentina. Would she be a US citizen then? None of the proper paperwork was filed for her moms birth with the US Consulate when she was born.
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

    Jan 24, 2018, 09:46 AM
    Your girlfriends grandmother is a US citizen, her mother isn't, and neither is she since both were born in Argentina.
    newacct's Avatar
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21
    Full Member

    Jan 24, 2018, 10:39 AM
    You need to provide more detailed information to determine whether she and her mother have US citizenship (e.g. when each of them was born, whether they were born in wedlock or out of wedlock, the periods that the US citizen parent spent in the US prior to the birth, whether the other parent was a US citizen, etc.).

    Most likely, her mother is a US citizen, but she isn't. In order to pass on US citizenship to a child born outside the US, the US citizen parent(s) need to meet certain requirements specified in the law. Whether "paperwork" was filed is irrelevant; the citizenship is automatic if the conditions in the law are met.

    In particular, if the child was born abroad in wedlock to one US citizen parent and one non-US-national parent, the US citizen parent must have been physically present in the US before the child's birth for a cumulative total of 5 years, including 2 years after turning 14 (for a child born after 1986), or a cumulative total of 10 years, including 5 years after turning 14 (for a child born between 1952 and 1986), or a cumulative total of 10 years, including 5 years after turning 16 (for a child born between 1940 and 1952). For a child born out of wedlock to a US citizen mother, the mother had to have been physically present in the US before the child's birth for some continuous period of 1 year.

    Her grandmother probably spent more than enough time in the US prior to moving abroad to be able to pass US citizenship onto her mother. However, assuming her mother never spent a significant amount of time in the US, her mother wouldn't have been able to pass on US citizenship onto her.

    If she is under 18, there is a way for her to get citizenship without moving to the US. But otherwise, the only way for her to get US citizenship is to first immigrate to the US (become a US permanent resident), either by being petitioned by her mother (which would require her mother live in the US, and also there would be a long wait if she is over 21) or some other means, and then apply for naturalization after a number of years living in the US as a permanent resident.
    kwicslvr's Avatar
    kwicslvr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 24, 2018, 11:13 AM
    Great, thank you for the answer. That's just what I was looking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Puerto-Rican US citizen gain PR citizenship, be eligible for Spanish citizenship? [ 4 Answers ]

If I understand, a non-Puerto Rican US citizen can live on the island for one year, and be eligible for Puerto Rican citizenship. Spain recognizes Puerto Rican citizenship, and after two years residence, one can be eligible for Spanish (and EU) citizenship. Is this path to Spanish citizenship...

Can I reclaim my German citizenship if I never renounced after dual citizenship? [ 3 Answers ]

I was born in 1974 in Germany to American born military parents. I never renounced my citizenship when it was US/German dual. Can I still apply for German citizenship or somehow reclaim it? I know the laws have varied since the reunification but I want to move Ireland and I believe my ancestry goes...

Immigration laws and citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

My husbands british am tanzanian my husband has a wife in london with kids ,we are married legaly in my country my sons surposed to have his fathers nationality or not and how do I go along with it

How do I gain citizenship in europe and renounce my citizenship in America [ 23 Answers ]

I have always wanted to move away from the U.S. but I want to do it permanently without the hassle of work visas and "checking in" every year or so. All the flights are very expensive as well. I was told by an acquaintance that I can even receive money for renouncing my citizenship! How do I go...

View more questions Search