French citizens residing in the USA who desire renewal of their French passport must appear in person at a French consulate or before an Honorary Consul to apply for renewal.
Old non-machine-readable passports will, when renewed, be replaced with the new machine-readable passports, which takes a processing time of currently about two weeks. The passport for renewal will be returned to the applicant for use until the new passport arrives. In a case of emergency, an old-format passport valid for one year will be issued upon proof of the emergency (airline tickets, etc.).
When applying for renewal of a passport, you will have to present the following documents:
The old passport
Proof of status:
- green card
- employment authorization card
- valid US visa with I-94 (excluding B1/B2)
- for residents of Bermuda: landing permit or other proof of status
Recent proof of address:
- rent receipt, electricity or telephone bill, tax return, etc. under
your name or spouse's name.
For students living on campus, a letter from the University attesting to your address.
For persons without their own means, the following documents are required from the guarantor.
- electricity or phone bill, rent receipt
- copy of an official ID with signature
- letter attesting to the address of the applicant
Two photos which must be;
- recent, 2 x 2 inch format with the face being 1 inch (25mm) in height, centered full-faced, without head covering, on a white or light gray background.
The photos will be trimmed to the 35mm x 45mm format at the time the passport is produced.
If the passport to be renewed expired more than two years ago, one of the following proofs of French nationality is required:
- valid French national identity card
- certificate of French nationality
- declaration of acquisition of French nationality
- naturalization certificate
- long-form copy of birth certificate for persons born in France, of whom one parent was also born in France.
You can request that the new passport is delivered by mail; in this case, a postage prepayed (certified or FedEx) envelope must be left at the time of application.
Besides the numerous French Honorary Consuls in many towns and cites all over the United States, There are French Consulates in the following U.S. cities:
Boston Consulat Général de France à Boston
Chicago Consulat Général de France à Chicago
Houston Consulat Général de France à Houston
Los Angeles Consulat GÃ©nÃ©ral de France Ã Los Angeles
Miami Consulat Général de France à Miami
New Orleans Consulat Général de France à la Nouvelle-Orléans
New York Consulat général de France à New York
San Francisco Consulat Général de France à San Francisco
Washington, DC http://www.consulfrance-washington.org/
In case of any difficulties, please contact your nearest Consulate for advice.