Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    PaulCheng's Avatar
    PaulCheng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 14, 2006, 09:03 PM
    How to give up Green Card
    I am a green card holder and I read that to leave US and give up my green card I have to fill and submit Form I-407. I logged on website and there is no form I-407. What is the form to file? Thanks for info. Paul
    CliffARobinson's Avatar
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

    Mar 10, 2012, 02:58 PM
    You will need to go to Homeland Security and file forms with the IRS to cease paying Income Tax. Usually a charge of $450 is assessed. You will need to have a meeting with a representative from an Embassy or Consul so that you can be informed of all of the repercussions of surrendering citizenship.

    One of the forms from the IRS you will need to fill out is called Form 8854 - Initial and Annual Expatriation Statement

    There can be very complex tax implications when giving up citizenship, you may want to speak to a Tax Attorney.

    Renunciation Guide
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Mar 10, 2012, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffARobinson View Post
    ... all of the repercussions of surrendering citizenship. ...
    Since when do U.S. citizens have green cards?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I have applied for my renewal green card 10 years exp 11/13/06. I have not rec'd it yet but will travel outside country and return 11/10/06 3 days before exp date. My passport up to date. Is this OK?

Marrige for Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know I've applied for immigration petion through my brother who is a citizen but I am engaged to get married to a US citizen also. Here is my ? If I get married will it afect the application that is ongoing with my brother?

Change from F1 to Green CArd [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, During 2004 I have changed my status from F1 to resident , because I had won the Visa Lotery. Since I cannot use the standard deduction, I was wondering If I can deduct the expenses I made to get the Gc? (the interview was abroad, so I had to fly , plus the fee itself. ) Can somebody help...

View more questions Search