Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lenaask's Avatar
    lenaask Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 2, 2008, 07:23 PM
    H1B status after married green card holder
    My H1B visa will expire in 2010. I plan to marry with 2-year-green card holder. Will I get green card too? How long does it take? And if I quit my job after I married, am I still legel to stay in US? Can I go out of US and come back? Give me some advise pleassssssse
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Apr 2, 2008, 11:53 PM
    Adjustment of status for the one who married a greencard holder takes approx 5-6 years, and you won't get any benefit such as getting work permit or SSN during this waiting period, unlike married to US citizen. If your husband is a US citizen, the process takes around 6-8 months.

    The best choice for you is to maintain H1-B and if possible, obtain greencard from this H1-B if your employer is willing to sponsor you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obtaining us passport for green card holder [ 17 Answers ]

I've search and haven't found anything. I'm a non us citizen but a green card holder, how do I obtain a us passport besides becoming a us citizen. Going to travel to japan soon and I won't have enough time 2 become a us citizen. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Citizen married 01/07 to former H1-B, now Green Card holder. 1040? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi really straightforward question from a newbie. I am a US citizen (born here). Got married in 01/07 (our first anniversary is Sunday!). My husband was a H1-B holder at the time of our marriage. He had been in the US for 9 years (grad school + 5+ years of an H1-B). Never left the country. ...

H1B visa holder - filing status? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a H1B visa holder since October 2007. Before that I was on F1 I got married in December 2007 and my wife will join me in March 2008 Can I file as married and jointly for 2007 even though my wife never set feet in US before? Thanks, vijay

Tax status for H1B holder [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am from India and arrived in US for the first time on H1B visa on 10th Nov 2007, and my estimated gross income from salary till Dec 31, is around 11000 USD. Will I have to pay tax for this short duration during this financial year and if yes, how is it going to be calculated? Thanks in...

Green card holder travelling [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Australian living in USA. I am also a green card holder. I want to travel to Vietnam by the end of this year. Should I use my Australian Passport or I have to use my green card with re-entry permit ? Thank you for your answer.

View more questions Search