Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    cachick's Avatar
    cachick Posts: 14, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 5, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Going to School while on TN Status/Greencard
    I am a Canadian citizen currently in the US. I reside in North Carolina. I attended a 4 year college, was on OPT for a year, and have been on TN Status for the past year. My current TN status expires June 30th, 2009 and my application for extension has been approved until June 30th, 2010. I have a couple different questions:

    -I am getting married to an American citizen this October (2009). Can I apply for a green card after we are married, but while I am still on TN Status?

    -I would like to start an MBA program spring 2010. I need to take one class before I can enter the program. Am I able to take a college course while on TN Status? Or do I have to wait until after I get married and have a green card?

    I appreciate any information you can provide me!
    DCcityboy's Avatar
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27
    Senior Member

    Mar 5, 2009, 11:56 AM


    You can file for permanent residence after you are married while you are in TN status. Remember to file for an EAD and AP so you can work and travel without renewing your EAD. It will take 3 months for the EAD and AP, so file as soon as you get married.

    You can go to school (part-time) as a TN, or if your timeline is correct, you will be an applicant for permanent residence and can attend school as such.

    If this was helpful, rate this answer! Thanks and good luck.
    cachick's Avatar
    cachick Posts: 14, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 5, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Thank you for your response. I have a couple of questions. What is an EAD and AP? Do I file those along with my application for permanent residence? Once I have a green card, can I not work without any applications or renewals?

    I read somewhere that it is better to file an application for permanent residence instead of an adjustment of status so that I can continue to work. Is this true?
    DCcityboy's Avatar
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27
    Senior Member

    Mar 5, 2009, 12:29 PM

    EAD is employment authorization document or work card. AP is advance parole or travel authorization. You should apply for both because the fee is now built into the I-485 filing fee and you then do not need to maintain your TN status. You need work authorization of some sort unless you are a permanent resident or a US citizen.

    Application for permanent residence in the US is an adjustment of status.

    I think its best for you to consult with and have an attorney assist on your case. Good luck!
    DCcityboy's Avatar
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27
    Senior Member

    Mar 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
    And to clarify, the EAD is what authorizes employment while you are an applicant for permanent residence. After your permanent residence is approved (green card), that is all you need for employment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Green card status after divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I got married in India and came to USA with my husband. Its been 5 years now we havea 3 year old kid.. Our green card is processed by his company. We got our EAD and waiting for 140 and 485 to clear.we are in the final stage. Now we are thinking of divorcing but I want to live here even after...

Entering the US with an out of status green card for immigration interview [ 15 Answers ]

I lived in the US for 24 years and due to a pending divorce came to Australia where I was born and have family for over 2 years. All I was waiting on was my FBI check and my citizenship would have been aproved. Because it took so long, 3 letters were sent to my american address requesting I be...

What happens to my green card status if I leave the usa for more then 6 months [ 5 Answers ]

I have travelled out the country with my wife for pure medical reasons, I expect to be hospitalised for a long time and will probably not make it back to the USA within 12 months, I have been in the states for more then 20 years, can someone please tell me what the rules are with regards to...

View more questions Search