Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    xPetey's Avatar
    xPetey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 5, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Felony entry to Canada
    I was convicted of a felony in 2002. In 2005, as per my court paperwork my felony was to be dropped to a misdemeanor. In spring 2007 I obtained my passport with plans to travel to Vancouver, BC, Canada. I departed for Vancouver in September 2007.

    Upon arriving at the airport, I was denied entry to Canada because of the felony that I was convicted of. After returning home, I started to do some research online, and found similar information that I have been reading here on this site. I understand the part about the "rehabilitation" forms and what not with the Canadian Embassy.

    The part that I get stuck on is this:

    In Nov'07 I had the felony expunged. Now that it's expunged am I still going to have to go through the rehabilitation process?

    Also, I spoke with my local court this morning, and in 2005 the Felony charge to misdemeanor petition was forwarded to the DOJ and apparently DOJ never updated my file. So, if DOJ would have updated my record in '05 would I have still been rejected in September '07?

    I'm planning to visit some friends, and am planning to move to Vancouver, so I'm just trying to clear my name.

    Any assistance and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. If any further details are needed, please let me know.

    Thank you in advance.
    Lowtax4eva's Avatar
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

    Aug 7, 2008, 01:48 PM
    I don't have a specific recommendation except to say to contact the nearest Canadian consulate or embassy in the US and ask them if you can now travel to Canada and if not what do you have to do.
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Aug 7, 2008, 07:38 PM
    This may explain what you should do...
    Immigration to Canada - Overcome Criminal Inadmissibility

    I would recommend retaining attorney specialized in Canadian Immigration. This is not just to apply for visitor's visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I enter Canada with a 3 degree felony [ 2 Answers ]

I am a United States Citizen, recently I was arrested for something I did not do, I hired an attorney to take care of the case and they find me not guilty of the third degree felony I was accused.I have a paper from the court proving I am not guilty. Now I am in the process to have the case...

Convicted felony, still get into canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my name is david, I have a felony conviction from aug 1995, theft by contractor, I deposited money from a business acount into my personal account, I served my 5 days sentence, and 2 years probation, can I still enter into canada? I being relocated for work.

DWAI in CO prevent Canada entry? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was arrested for DUI in Colorado in 2001 and pled guilty to the lesser charge of DWAI, which is an infraction with a BAC of .05% or greater. At this point, I would like to travel to Canada. Will they see this on my record, and will it prevent my entry into the country? Thanks.

Felony c d l driver interance to canada [ 4 Answers ]

Felony c d l driver entrance to canada

Canadian entering Canada with Felony charges [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a relative who is a canadian citizen and holds permanent residency from states. She has been charged with one count of felony and has fled to mexico. She wants to know can she return to Canada... will they arrest her at the airport? Thx in advance for your input.

View more questions Search