Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    hkswma's Avatar
    hkswma Posts: 22, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 15, 2011, 06:40 PM
    Company lawyer or personal lawyer for PERM, I140 & I485
    Company makes it mandatory to go through their contracted attorneys office for PERM application then I have the choice whether to continue with that attorney for I140 & I485 or choose an independent attorney. Either way I'm paying the fees for both the applications. Any pros or cons on this issue such as delays, etc.
    NYcityboy's Avatar
    NYcityboy Posts: 784, Reputation: 65
    Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011, 05:56 AM
    As long as the attorney is competent and will keep you updated on the case, either will be fine. Please note that if you hire an attorney, they will certainly speak to you more readily. There is an element of dual representation, so if you use the company attorney you should be treated fairly. Their first loyalty will still be to the company.

    Without knowing any more, I would find out how many cases they handle for the company as that is a good indicator or overall competence. If you are not comfortable with their experience, find your own; after all, you are paying for the work.
    hkswma's Avatar
    hkswma Posts: 22, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 16, 2011, 07:32 AM
    Thanks NYcity boy, my company is a nationwide one listed on the stock exchange so they have a lot of sponsored workers. The attorney I guess is a good company since they get all of that work and they have law offices in about almost every other state. My main issue is that if I get my private attorney is there anything different he/she might be able to contribute in terms of speeding up the process.
    I've got no one that I know that went through this process would you have any recommendations or sources I can refer to find one in California?
    NYcityboy's Avatar
    NYcityboy Posts: 784, Reputation: 65
    Senior Member

    Sep 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
    All good. Most large companies use one of the large "national: law firms, but you should find out which attorney at the firm will be working your case, then you can check on their credentials. Nothing that any other attorney can do in terms of speeding up the case.

    One thing to consider is that the firm used by the company will have all the company information and contacts set up to work the case faster. The downside is that most large firms push this work to a junior associate.

    You should be fine going with the attorney used by the company. If not, check for a referral from AILA, the American Immigration Lawyers Association. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is Personal Injury Lawyer Worth It If Hit By Drunk Driver-Her Ins Accepted Liability? [ 12 Answers ]

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS! I have been researching literally all day and trying to determine if getting a personal injury lawyer is actually worth the fees or not and I'm still not sure and getting more and more frustrated and desperate! (I also still need to go to a doctor somewhere asap...

Served Summons by lawyer in behalf of a collection company [ 8 Answers ]

I was recently served a Summons from a lawyer representing a collection agency--Palisades collections LLC. Nowhere in the document does it state who the original creditor is. It actually says that I had a credit account with Palisades collection, LLC, for which I never had. It also states the...

Questions to ask a Personal Injury Lawyer [ 4 Answers ]

My brother-in-law was burnt over 2/3 of his body due to an industrial accident. He has been in the hospital over 2 1/2 months and is now home recovering. They are in the process of interviewing personal injury lawyers. What type of questions should they ask that will help them evaluate the...

I140 denied and I485 pending [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my husband's company filed an EB1 EA petition in 2008 at Nebraska. However in between the company changed the lawyer. The new lawyer mention that the petition should have been filed under EB1 - OR category. We received an RFE in March 2009. The response was sent in April 2009 and we received a...

Title company vs Real Estate Lawyer [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to make a short-sale in Arizona (I'm from New York). Should I close with a lawyer or a title company. In NY we use Real Estate Attorneys. I was told that it's not necessary in Arizona. Will I be fully protected using a title company as well as a lawyer? Thank you.

View more questions Search