Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    dreamscometrue's Avatar
    dreamscometrue Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 29, 2008, 09:20 PM
    Change of status from J-1 to H1B
    I have J1-visa currently which will expire April 2009.

    A place where I am being trained would like to hire me and change my visa to H1B.
    Do I need to leave the country or not?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 31, 2008, 11:06 AM
    "J1 visa holders are required to reside in their home country for at least two years before they may obtain an H, L or other immigrant visa to enter the U.S. or adjust their status within the U.S."
    So it appears that your employer's application for H1-B visa for you will not be approved.
    You may have to go back to your country and get waiver for this "2 years residency" from your country. As far as I know, the U.S. can't waive this condition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chaning status from F1-H1B and maintaining F1 Status. [ 9 Answers ]

I got my H1B approved through a Company and Currently I'M on F1 Visa doing my MS , I have a Gap of 20 days between my F1 and H1B ,please find the details below. By May end I would be completeing my second semester and have to register for 3rd Semester (Fall Semester) by 10th Sept ,2007 ,I'M...

H1b Status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am having work authorization H1b visa .My present employer is not paying me for last 3 months and I am not in a position to change my employer because I am not having any recent pay stubs. So please advise me to take further action immediately. Thanks in advance for your inputs. ...

Change of Status F1 to H1b [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was International student on F1. I have worked on CPT for the year 2007. Meanwhile I got H1B which afected from 1OCT2007 & my F1 got terminated. I got marry on end of OCT. but still I am on H1B status only. How should I pay the Tax now. 1. Joint tax with my husband? 2. How I will...

F1 - H1B Status [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India. In 2005, I was on F1 till May 2005. OPT between June 1- December 27 th 2005. My status changed to H1B on Dec 27th 2005. I would like to which form I need to file along with the deductions I am eligible for? Thanks

View more questions Search