Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Maryk1107's Avatar
    Maryk1107 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 9, 2014, 07:17 AM
    Can I apply for dual citizenship in Greece if my mom has it?
    My mom was born in Greece. She says that because I am her child, I also have it. Is this true? And, if not, how do I go about obtaining dual citizenship. I plan on traveling extensively to Greece and mom has a home and other property there that is being willed to her children. I will be the one overseeing her property. If I do have dual citizenship, how do I go about proving such? Thanks for your help
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Feb 9, 2014, 03:27 PM
    You go to the nearest Greek Consulate and inquire.
    newacct's Avatar
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21
    Full Member

    Feb 10, 2014, 12:13 AM
    It is true. If your mother had Greek citizenship when you were born, you already have Greek citizenship.
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Feb 19, 2014, 01:27 AM
    You and your mother need to report your birth to the nearest consulate. You will be issue Greek birth certificate, and then Greek passport.
    acrules3's Avatar
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3
    Junior Member

    Aug 6, 2014, 09:43 AM
    It's not that easy. There are a few things that you need to be sure of:

    a) was/is your mother a Greek citizen? If so, then she is registered in the records (dimotologia) of a municipality in Greece. If that has happened, you are 95% there.

    b) were you born after May 8th 1984?
    I) If yes, then you are a Greek citizen by birth. Go to the consulate, and you're all set, you are a citizen by birth according to Article 1 of the Code of Greek Citizenship.
    II) If not, then you need to also look at your parents' marriage ceremony to decide how you will get Greek citizenship. Long story short, if your parents were married in a ceremony that was substantiated by the Greek state at the time (ypostatos gamos), then you will have to apply for citizenship via Article 14 of the Citizenship Code at your local Greek Consulate. You will be a Greek citizen as of the date of the application. If your parents' marriage was not considered "ypostatos", or if you were born out of wedlock, then the Greek state may consider you a Greek citizen as of your birth but that will be a special situation that they can explain more about.

    In either case, step 1 will be to get your mother's registration certificate from her municipality in Greece. Once you have that, you can go down the path of claiming citizenship yourself.

    The process will take between 2 and 4 years, depending on what municipality you are registered in. Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get Dual citizenship for Greece/Turkey [ 1 Answers ]

I was born in Greece not my parents did not apply for my Greek citizenship. However my parents are Turkish so I have a Turkish passport. I was told it would be difficult to get my Greek citizenship because of the international politics between Turkey and Greece. Please can you tell me the facts ?...

Dual citizenship greece [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to apply for dual citizenship and I believe that I have all the necessary documents proving my Greek heritage through my paternal Grandfather. However, one thing is missing... when he arrived in New York in 1912, he changed his name, as was common at that time. I don't seem to find...

USA and Greece Dual Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

I am a citizen of the US. Both of my parents moved here from Greece and are now US citizens. I want to live in Greece for a year or so and I figured I would have to be a citizen of Greece. Would I end up losing my US citizenship? How would I go about getting a dual citizenship, is my first...

View more questions Search