Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Sam2006's Avatar
    Sam2006 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 17, 2007, 07:30 PM
    B-1 in lieu of H-1B
    Hello everyone,

    I was wondering if anyone has information (experience) on B-1 in lieu of H-1B visas, especially:
    - how hard is it to get one (what are the criteria that might lower the chances of getting one) and how common they are?
    - what the average/maximum duration over which they are generally granted?
    - how long is it necessary to have worked for the company outside of the US to be able to apply for it?

    Thanks a lot for your help,
    Lowtax4eva's Avatar
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

    Jun 18, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Well a B-1 visa is 6 months maximum, but this is a visitor's visa (business class) basically you cannot work in the US. This is designed for people who work for companies overseas to come into the US and conduct meeting, sign contracts, have meeting with partners in the US etc.

    You have to be employed by a foreign company, have citizenship in the country you work in now and have to apply at the US consulate in your country.

    This is not at all the same as H1B, you cannot work for a US company on B-1

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lieu [ 4 Answers ]

What is the Meaning of = In lieu of.= where this phrase & how is used. Lieu is English word or German word. Why the meaning of LIEU is not available with MS WORD Pl enlighten Regards Bramha

Is deed in lieu of foreclosure my only way out [ 1 Answers ]

I was going through nasty divorced when asked by friend if I could help out his house Was being foreclosed on.Agent for bank contacted me who I knew I told him I did not Want to do this. He invited me to restaurant where after few drinks I was handed papers To sign.I told him I did not want to...

Stock in lieu of salary [ 10 Answers ]

My employer, a small startup, is $100K behind in paying my salary. The company has offered me 200K shares of company stock in lieu of back salary, which I've agreed in principle to accept. From a tax perspective, what's the best way to structure the deal? Stock options? A stock grant? ...

View more questions Search