Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    chintu90's Avatar
    chintu90 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 3, 2009, 05:20 PM
    Applying green card after surrendering it once
    My mother surrendered her green card last year in our native country and got herself 10 yrs visitor visa now she is here on visitor visa and has been issued 6 months visa on arrival at the airport, I am a usa citizen and would like to apply for mothers green card again, which form do I fill up? How long does it takes usually to get approval?
    Is it easy now while she is here to apply again ,will it be treated as new green card?
    DCcityboy's Avatar
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27
    Senior Member

    Jun 3, 2009, 05:47 PM

    Please note that if she entered with a visitor visa, and intended to immigrate, the USCIS officer can make a determination of visa fraud, deny the permanent residence and start deportation proceedings.

    To answer your question specifically, you file the form I-130 relative petition and your mother files the I-485 application for adjustment of status. There are several secondary forms, the G-325 biographic forms, the I-864 affidavit of support as well as the forms for the EAD and AP.

    It will be treated as a new application, so it is fairly easy, but you will need to explain why she relinquished her green card and the details of her most recent B visa application and intent on entry.

    Consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surrendering the Green Card [ 1 Answers ]

I am a green card holder and all other members of my family i.e. my wife and sons are US citizen. I am 65 years old and I want to go to my country and stay for a long time. I want to surrender my green card but want to obtain tourist visa for 10 years so that I can visit my family members...

H-1 applying for Green card. Spouse H4 or F1? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently on H-1 visa. I got married last year 2007 in my home country. My wife has applied to do graduate school here, and will be coming this August 2008. Also, my company will be applying green card for me and my spouse once she is in US. The question here is whether my spouse should get...

View more questions Search