Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    rhodalyn75's Avatar
    rhodalyn75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 28, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Adopting a relative who lives outside usa
    I am a naturalized citizen. I am planning to adopt my nephew who is in Philippines. Would I be able to bring him here in america? Or is it easier if I petition him as an alien relative first?
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    Nov 28, 2008, 11:58 PM

    You can file for immigrant visa for him if he has been adopted for at least 2 years prior to filing, plus you need proofs that you have been supporting him in all aspects during the past 2 years.

    Adoption in US is limited to the age of 16, so if he is over 12 now, forget it. The Philippines has the longest backlog, you might have to wait for 5-6 years and he will be age-out by then. Most important thing, approval rate of immigration cases on adopted children who are not orphans but related to petitioners are near zero.

    If you want to bring him to school in US, better get student visa and you can sponsor him. The only issue is only private schools can issue I-20 for foreign students. They can't go to public schools.. except those who come on exchange programs which are limited to one year only.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Our lives don't mean anything, what can I say? [ 3 Answers ]

My best friend has been sort of depressed lately, with good reason I suppose. We hang in a group that is really tight--we would do anything for each other. Her and I are the only two members of said group that do not smoke. The others said they would quit and did for some time, but then they...

I just want him out of our lives! [ 3 Answers ]

I was with my kids dad for 6yrs then we split. He cheated and I started dating a women. He went crazy for a while. Then I decided to move to A.z because the cost of living is more affordable then Cali. And I was tried of livving with people my boys needed a place of their own now we have our own...

Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?

So this is how the other half lives? [ 1 Answers ]

Well thanks to Tom's link I've discovered this site and it appears more mature, interesting, and alive. After I figure out how to navigate the boards I'll try and contribute my moderate views when possible. I'm juggling a busy schedule between work and the wife's pregnancy. I just want to give a...

Lives in NJ and works in NJ and in NY, how to tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have an employee who lives in NJ and will work from home 4 days a week and then work one day in the office in NY. How do I tax him? I say he should pay both NJ and NY taxes. Accounting is stating no, he is a NY employee because he has a desk and computer in the office in NY, therefore...

View more questions Search