Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maybe28 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 05:33 PM
    At what point do the credit card agency call in debt collectors?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 26, 2010, 05:38 PM

Depends on the policies of the credit card issuer. Or, for that matter, any credit issuer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 06:15 PM

There are no "one size fits all" guide line for all companies, the size of debt, the age all makes a difference and if they believe you may pay without it.

Also some credit card companies have what I call "in house" collection firms, they are legally separate companies, but in many ways they are set up to collect the debts of basically just that company.

Dec 29, 2010, 05:46 PM
    To Scottgem: Its Amex and I was late by 10 days on the CARE program. I have today contacted them to be told that my pay. Have been received and new pay. Are not due until Jan. but I have been referred to an outside Collection agency.Will they negative payments.

To Fr_ChuckAmex all my payments are in order. Have been told no payments due until Jan. But I have been referred to an outside collection agency. Will they negative. Future payments. It's a sub.amount owing but am under the credit limit. I can now afford make paym

{Comments merged-<>}

Dec 29, 2010, 06:20 PM

First please don't use the Comments feature for follow-up. Use the Answer options below.

What is the CARE program? If you were late then all your payments are not in order.

Dec 29, 2010, 07:00 PM
    I missed two payments nego with amex for lower interest rate and higher repayments to cover missed payments. Was OK for 3 months and then missed one payment by 10 days. Icovered the payment before notification that I had defaulted on the Amex Care program. I made additional payments above what was in fact required on my internet banking summary as due. I phoned amex to find out when next payments due they said January 20 and 22 but I had been referred to outside collection agency. What happens next will they negotiate a repayment plan. I can now afford payments regularly. Had a few difficult years where income was dramatically reduced. Now getting back on feet but I do not have the money to payout the balance. I am under the credit limit. Thanks so much for listening

Dec 29, 2010, 07:10 PM

Apparently you were delinquent and was given a chance via this CARE program. But, generally, such a program puts you on a very short leash. Even one day late and they will go to collections on it. You need to see if you can negotiate with them. As soon as you knew you were going to be late you should have called them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Credit Card Debt? Consolidate using debt consolidation agency? Good or Bad? [ 11 Answers ]

Does it reflect negatively on my credit report if I consolidate credit card debt using a debt consolidation agency? I can make my credit card payments, but only the minimums. The APR's are mid to high teens -- I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Is it worse to continue like I am, with credit cards...

Credit Card debt in collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

I became unemployed in September of 2008. Prior to unemployment my credit history was excellent. With the job market as it is now I have been unable to gain unemployment. In January of 2009 I sent certified letters and made phone calls to several of my credit card companies to lower the rate and...

Summon from Collection Agency on Old Credit Card Debt (SOL expired) [ 6 Answers ]

I received a copy of a Summons and Complaint in my mail box. It was mailed by first class mail. This Summon is from Asset Acceptance, a debt collector agency. They have bought over my Providian credit card account which has been charged off (with last activity in April 2001 - based on my latest...

View more questions Search