Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cpbmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Crossed wires
    My husband tried replacing a light fixture in our dining room today. It is a ceiling mount chandelier that we were replacing with a similar fixture. The wires on the fixture were not different colors like on ceiling fans he had replaced in the past. When he got all the wires connected and turned the switch on we heard a buzz sound and no light. He figured he had the wires crossed and attempted to switch them back, but still no light. He then thought he fried the switch and replaced it with a new one... still no light. What has he done to my dining room light? Are we going to need to call an electrician or is the problem a diy one? Help!
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Feb 25, 2007, 09:01 PM
    Well,, Check the circuit breaker first... See if it tripped. If it did it will be half on half off... To reset it you need to turn it off all the way then turn it back on with the light switch off. If you try the light switch and it does the same thing (trips the breaker) then you have a wire crossed not backwards. What I would do is hook up the old fixture exactly like it was and see if everything works. If it does then you are back in business.
    The process for hooking up the light should be fairly straight forward as long as you do not CROSS any wires. Usually when they are not color coded it is because there is no difference where they go. The swtich simply makes the circuit complete. Likely he crossed two wires and it popped the breaker... No big deal really.. Make sure you guys shut off the power first so you do not get shocked...
    Good luck... Cjcdallas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

Thermostat Wires - Only 2 Wires (both black) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm switching my thermostat for a newer digital one, though when I took out the old thermostat, there were only 2 black wires with white stripes on them. The new thermostat calls for an RH wire and a W wire, but I have no way of distinguishing the two apart. How can I tell which wire...

Can someone tell me what some people who crossed over need to say [ 2 Answers ]

Some very close people have crossed over I was wondering if they wanted to say something why did I loose my house in a fire and why was I brought back here why did I have to misscarages and is there any more children in my future what is in the future for the children I have will my luck ever...

Fingers crossed! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok... I may be just getting excited too soon... which I often do but something new is going on... yesterday I noticed when I went to the bathroom that I had a light pink discharge... but it was only when I used the bathroom... then last night I had some very light spotting... I am an 8 day heavy...

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search