Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kittycatchloee's Avatar
    Kittycatchloee Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Mar 7, 2014, 06:18 PM
    Homeschooling help!
    Hello!
    So I have just recently started high school. I am in the highest class. I suffer from anxiety and it gets really bad at school. I will hyperventilate or even cry before school. It terrifies me.
    I have done some research on homeschooling and is there any way to convince my single mum? I can't take high school anymore :(
    Please help
    Thank you in advanced! Xx
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 3,998, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #2

    Mar 7, 2014, 07:45 PM
    Have you spoken to your doctor about your anxiety in the past? Is your mom aware of this?
    Kittycatchloee's Avatar
    Kittycatchloee Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #3

    Mar 7, 2014, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Have you spoken to your doctor about your anxiety in the past? Is your mom aware of this?
    I have not spoken to my doctor, my mum is trying to get me in to see him. And yes my mum is aware
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert
     
    #4

    Mar 7, 2014, 08:18 PM
    I've done a lot of research on homeschooling. Keep in mind that I'm in Canada, and the laws for homeschooling may be different here. You can Google homeschooling in your area and find out what the criteria is in your area.

    The criteria to home school where I live is that a parent is there at least 6 hours a day to oversee the subjects being taught, to help the child with their learning. To teach. In other words, they need to be available full time for their child in order for home schooling to be an option. As a single mom can your mother afford to quit her job to home school you?

    Another criteria where I live is that the child's grades in school meet the expected requirement before allowing them to home school. How are your grades?

    The fact that you have issues going to school, is not a reason to home school. It is a reason to seek counseling to find out why you're having this level of anxiety. Life doesn't get easier after school, it only gets harder. If you can't handle going to classes every day because of your anxiety, how will you ever hold down a job and become self sufficient?

    I think that in this case, home schooling would be the worst thing your mother could do. She needs to get the appropriate help for you so you can learn to deal with your anxiety so that you can function when you're an adult. Home schooling you now would be a band-aid on an arterial wound. It needs to be repaired, not covered up.
    Kittycatchloee's Avatar
    Kittycatchloee Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #5

    Mar 7, 2014, 11:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I've done a lot of research on homeschooling. Keep in mind that I'm in Canada, and the laws for homeschooling may be different here. You can Google homeschooling in your area and find out what the criteria is in your area.

    The criteria to home school where I live is that a parent is there at least 6 hours a day to oversee the subjects being taught, to help the child with their learning. To teach. In other words, they need to be available full time for their child in order for home schooling to be an option. As a single mom can your mother afford to quit her job to home school you?

    Another criteria where I live is that the child's grades in school meet the expected requirement before allowing them to home school. How are your grades?

    The fact that you have issues going to school, is not a reason to home school. It is a reason to seek counseling to find out why you're having this level of anxiety. Life doesn't get easier after school, it only gets harder. If you can't handle going to classes every day because of your anxiety, how will you ever hold down a job and become self sufficient?

    I think that in this case, home schooling would be the worst thing your mother could do. She needs to get the appropriate help for you so you can learn to deal with your anxiety so that you can function when you're an adult. Home schooling you now would be a band-aid on an arterial wound. It needs to be repaired, not covered up.
    Thank you for your answer. Another reason that I forgot to add is that I constantly feel pressured (as I am in the highest class)I don't want to move down a class as then it would be easy. I'm a smart girl but I'm always pressured in learning. Being homeschooled will let me learn at my own pace. Once again thanks for the answer
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,278, Reputation: 5644
    Expert
     
    #6

    Mar 8, 2014, 12:03 AM
    Home schooling would only be a band aid and not prepare you for the life you have ahead of you.

    Once you are out in the workforce you will not be able to work at your own pace, in most cases. High school is preparing you for the real world. The adult world.

    Home schooling is not the answer for you, counseling is. You need to learn how to handle this type of situation rather than running away from it.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7691
    Expert
     
    #7

    Mar 8, 2014, 08:14 AM
    So you move down a class, this is pressure, that is just in your head.

    You need medical treatment for your problem, not running away. Home school is great, for the right family, It requires hours and hours of work by the parents, or an extreme cost of online private educaion.

    Real life, means living in a real world, so time to really get treated
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,108, Reputation: 10852
    Expert
     
    #8

    Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycatchloee View Post
    I have not spoken to my doctor, my mum is trying to get me in to see him. And yes my mum is aware
    I have to agree with the others, and your mum, to deal with your issues rather than run from them, by staying home for schooling.
    Kittycatchloee's Avatar
    Kittycatchloee Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #9

    Mar 8, 2014, 01:16 PM
    Ok Thank you everyone, I do not need anymore answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Homeschooling for kindergarten [ 12 Answers ]

What is the special sound in globe

Homeschooling !5 yr old [ 19 Answers ]

I am homeschooling my 15 yr ols son. I started towards the end of the year last year. Now that school has started again { Break is over} I am having a hard time getting him to work for more than an hour a day. He is doing beter than he was in the public school and getting good grades. I told...

Homeschooling [ 1 Answers ]

I am writing a paper for my college english class on the adantages and disadvantages of homeschooling. I was homeschooled and also attended some public school. I would like responses from people who have been homeschooled not people who only have an opinion on the topic Thanks

Homeschooling a k student [ 2 Answers ]

I have taken my son out of the public school and desided to homeschool wich books and where would I go to get them are the best?:o

Homeschooling [ 34 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know more about the disadvantages of homeschooling. I am doing a letter to the editor for a school assessment task and I need to find as many disadvantages as possible. If you can help please respond.


View more questions Search