Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Shepard Dunn's Avatar
    Shepard Dunn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 27, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Home owners insurance
    This really happened & I am baffled by the result.

    A tree in my yard falls & hits one of my cars. The car only has liability insurance coverage on it. The car was a total loss. My first reaction was that the home owners policy will take care of that. Not.. Evidently it only covers acts of negligence. Even if the car was a friends whom was visiting, my policy would not cover for damage to the car.

    Does that sound about right?
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

    Aug 27, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Read your policy closely. Coverage on homeowners' insurance varies greatly. Read it closely to see if you can find language that gives you reason to dispute the denied claim... and report it to your State Department of Insurance if you really feel the language of the policy should cover it.
    Rover88's Avatar
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14
    Junior Member

    Aug 30, 2007, 07:48 AM
    This reply might get a little lengthy, so please bear with me. Think of a Homeowner’s Policy as a two-part policy. The first part, Section I (Physical Damage), provides coverage to your home, contents, etc. There is some variety in forms of coverage (basic, broad, all-risk), and will provide coverage from such things as fire, wind, etc. This section of your policy would probably provide coverage if your neighbor’s tree fell on your house and he did not have LIABILITY coverage.

    The second part of your HO policy (Section II), is liability coverage. This is to cover you against damage to property of others, such as your tree falls on your neighbor’s car.

    The tree falling creates a LIABILITY issue. Your HO policy will not pay for damages to your car because you can’t be liable to yourself for damage of this nature. Note that even if you had collision coverage on your auto policy you would not have been covered, as this was not a collision loss. Coverage on the car would be provided by COMPREHENSIVE coverage on your car (a separate line item on the auto policy).

    If you truly have a Homeowner’s Policy, it should provide coverage had this tree hit a friend’s car.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I recommand this affiliate program to home business owners [ 3 Answers ]

I joined this site for a few weeks already. Here I want to share my experience with other home business owners. The site is: 1: Easy registration, not asking for credit card; which mean no worry security stuff. 2: Great technical support, they always answer my...

Owners rights after home being foreclosed on in VA [ 5 Answers ]

My best friend recently went through a divorce and moved out of her previous home. She signed a "quit claim" to the husband for the property. Her exhusband lived there, but the property was foreclosed on. The new owner gave them (she and her exhusband) 2 days to collect their property from the...

Abandoned Home Owners [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a 'free' site to locate the owners of properties that have been abandoned?

The book called;'Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming HOme and other Unexplain [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Carrum Downs, Victoria, Australia and have been told by a book shop that it would take two weeks to get in the book I'd like to see about buying. Does anyone have one close to where I live or even a secondhand one. The book is called:'Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming HOme and...

View more questions Search