Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glamorousbride Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 02:28 PM
    Can someone explain these instructions?
    Express the numbers listed to three significant figures, writing the numbers in the first column in normal notation and the numbers in the second column in powers of 10(scientific notation)

Express in Three significant figures

Scientific notation:

Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 11, 2006, 02:31 PM
    Please refer to this Announcement
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Sep 11, 2006, 06:34 PM
    Gentlemen, I believe that glamorousbride has asked a valid question. They have asked for someone to explain the instructions, not solve the homework problem itself.

Glamorousbride, in response to your request:

Numbers can be represented in many different ways. They can be expressed in words (one million), in decimal digits (1,000,000), in digits of other bases (0xF4240 in hexadecimal). Also, the way numbers are written can also sometimes convey additional information, such as the level of confidence in the accuracy of a measurement. Say for example, you used a ruler to measure a length of string. Writing 2.5 means that you believe that is the length, to the nearest tenth of a unit.

If someone were to lay 234,968 identical pieces of string end to end, you might be inclined to say that the total length would be 587,420 units. If the string is actually 2.51 units long, and your ruler is not fine enough to measure that, then the total length would be 589,769.68 units, a difference of over two thousand units. According to the rules of significant digits, the answer you should give for the total length is actually 590,000.

Significant digits are what are used to indicate a measure of confidence in numbers, and ensure that you don't have more precision in your final answer than you do in your input numbers.

If this question has been asked of you, then you should have recently been taught about significant digits. A quick Google will probably show you how, if you can't find the answer in your textbooks.

Scientific notation is helpful in expressing very large or very small numbers. It is also very similar to how floating-point numbers are stored in computer memory. A number in scientific notation will be expressed in the form:

#.###### x 10^###

Again, your textbook should tell you how to express normal numbers in these terms, but if you can't find it there, look to Google, then ask back here again.
    glamorousbride Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 06:38 PM
    Thank you- as you said I was just asking for the instruction because my lab manual didn't clarify it.

It's a college physics course and it is a 1 credit lab course. I'm not worried about it, but I don't want to look completely ridiculous in the instructor's eyes.

Thanks for the clarification!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Please explain [ 1 Answers ]

I had asked his question and you had answered this question as follows... I also worked on something and I am posting my answer, could you please check and let me know where I am wrong/right... A title manufacturer has supplied the following data: Boxes of tiles produced and sold 240,000...

Can You Explain? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, (1 Corinthians 15:12) Now if Christ is being preached that he has been raised up from the dead, how is it some among YOU say there is no resurrection of the dead? John 11:11, 14-44: “ ‘Lazarus our friend has gone to rest, but I am journeying there to awaken him from sleep.’.....

Tax Treaty instructions [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian national and am trying to apply for the personal + standard deduction as outlined in the US-India tax treaty. As I was going through the instruction booklet for tax treaties (Pub 901), it states the following: "The exemption does not apply to payments borne by a permanent...

Bought new briggs 12 hp with no instructions (need Help) [ 1 Answers ]

Had a 34 ton log splitter with 9 hp engine. Engine wore out. Went to place I bought the log splitter 5 years ago (Tractor Supply) and they recommended a B&S 12 hp replacement. They had one left, the floor model. No manual, no key, nothing but the beautiful new engine no gas tank (which I...

Explain how to do this one [ 1 Answers ]

please explain how to do this one it says to simplify by adding like terms 2x^2 y+3yx^2+x^2 y-x^2 y-4x^2 y^2

View more questions Search