Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2006, 09:40 AM
    VCR Dish connection
    How do I connect a vcr to my dish network.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 4, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Same way you connect your TV. Generally it goes from Satellite controller to VCR to TV. If you need cables, try Radio Shack. The VCR manual usually has hookup diagrams for various situations.
    lizperk54 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2006, 11:24 AM
    [[email protected]]How do I connect my dvd to my direct TV receiver and to my TV?

Aug 22, 2006, 11:26 AM
    I hook up my dvd to receiver, then receiver to TV?

Aug 22, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lizperk54
    I hook up my dvd to receiver, then receiver to tv?
    Thank you

Aug 22, 2006, 12:26 PM
    Someone is talking to themselves??
    silentwaters Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 10:13 AM
    I tried that. I had a coax cable from satellite receiver to vcr, then vcr coax to TV. But I couldn't record anything. Seems like I can only watch one at a time, either TV or VCR. If I change tv/video channels, the VCR records something one of the free channels (like action 36 or upn or something) but not the dish channel that I wanted to record.

Can anyone help?

Sep 12, 2006, 10:29 AM
    Generally, you do all your channel tuning through the satellite box. The TV AND VCR are tuned to either channel 3 or 4.

IF you have multiple inputs on either your VCR or TV, and multiple outputs on your satellite box, you maybe be able to watch one thing and record another. Othewise you might need a switchbox to manage this.

I have a TV with 6 inputs; Antenna A and B, Video 1-3 and DVD. I have my Cable go into a splitter, with one side going to the settop box and the other side going to Antenna A. I then have the Composite from the settop go to Antenna B. I have a Component output from the settop go to my DVD/VCR combo. I had an SVideo link from the settop to Video 1, and a component output from the DVD/VCR going to both Video 2 and DVD on the TV. I recently add a media adapter that allows me to play photos, video and music from my computer network on the TV using Video 1.

So, I can watch non scrambled channels on Antenna A using the TV tuner. I can watch everything on Antenna B (but not the best quality) using the settop tuner, I can watch recorded videos, JPG slide shows or play music using Video 1, I can watch or record whatever the settop is tuned to on Video 2. I can play DVD using DVD component.

Sep 13, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Actually I need to watch and record the same channel. Mostly the games on TV since I watch them and record them for my brother at the same time. But ever since I got Satellite dish I cannot figure out a way to record my games. My TV is set to channel 3 and VCR is on channel 3 is well. But as soon as we turn on the vcr to record, it goes directly to vcr video and we cannot watch TV anymore. When I tried recording (after pressing tv/video) it records the static noise and not the game.

That was my questions. Also, would a coax cable spiltter do the trick? If I have one coax go to the sat. box and the other to the VCR (directly from the antenna)?

Just wondering. I have tried everything that the manual tells me. Any suggestions?

Sep 13, 2006, 10:15 AM
    How are your cables hooked up? From settop box to vcr to TV? You do NOT want to go to the VCR direct from the cable, unless all the channels you get are unscrambled. Then you would need to tune the VCR to the channel you want to record.

Sep 13, 2006, 03:47 PM
    So right now I have a coax cable from dish antenna to the box. Then from box to vcr (coax cable) and then a coax from vcr to TV.

Does that help? :/

Sep 13, 2006, 05:44 PM
    OK, that should work. I would contact the VCR mfg to see what could be the problem.

Sep 14, 2006, 09:41 AM
    That's what I thought too. I don't know why its not working. For some reason, I can see the channel and press record on the vcr but it doesn't record what its showing me on TV. Records some other channel seems like.

OK.. I guess I will call the mfg people... so no cable splitter right?

Sep 14, 2006, 09:41 AM
    By the way.. thanks for all your help!

Sep 14, 2006, 09:50 AM
    You can split the OUTPUT from the settop box is you want, but that doesn't really make sense.

Sep 14, 2006, 09:52 AM
    True.
    I guess I'm going to have to call the vcr people. Thanks anyway! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken dish, new set [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I buy one dinnerplate Corelle Hearhstone, Square shape, Chili Red color? [email protected]

Remove dish soap [ 1 Answers ]

Do you know how to get liquid dish soap out of carpet? Thanks

Setting up a Satillite dish [ 4 Answers ]

We need help in setting up a dish and getting the receivers to work. California. Thanks.

View more questions Search