Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    electricalguru Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Repair of SE Cables
    Are there recommendations that cover the repair of frayed Type SE conductors?

I have seen many service entrance cables in bad shape, and some are so old where the insulation is very brittle.

I understand that the code now calls for them to be sunlight resistant too.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Al that could be done, on a temporay basis is to cover the frayed section with a properly voltage rated material, such as electrical tape, until the cable can be replaced.

Once the original sheathing is damaged, there is no permanent soultion to get it back to the original manufacturer's specifications.

I do not believe that any AHJ would allow, nor would be a good idea, to apply any covering on a permanent basis.

Yes, any conductor, cable assembly, and conduit that will be located outdoors must be sunlight resistant, along with being rated for wet locations.

FYI, this also includes wire ties, also known as Ty-Raps. Only the black ones are sunlight resistant, the white, clear, or colored ones generally are not, and the manufacturers specs must be checked before using outdoors.

Many times someone will create an overhead line ty-rapping a cable to a steel messenger cable using the standard white ties, and wonder why they fall apart.
    electricalguru Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Again, thanks for details, what do you think about the NEC 310.10 FPN 2?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2007, 09:33 AM
    A comment from somebody that once made electrical cable. SE was where we used up all the insulation that failed the specs for anything else. The standards were quite low, and some of the standard tests weren't required. Never touch even what looks OK. How do you think so many people kill themselves when their ladder touches the SE? SE is for the birds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gear shift cables? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 chevy caviler the gear shift cables broke I have found some but they are 150.00 any where cheaper than this?

Cat 7 Vs Cat6 cables [ 3 Answers ]

I know the CAT 7 has performance better than CAT 6 cables. I know the connectors and priferal equipment of using with CAT 7 should be specially designed to to impair the cat 7 performace. But what problem may I face if I want usiong the Data cable cat 7 instead cat 6 cable in a system designed for...

Straight through v.s. Reverse cables [ 4 Answers ]

When making a telephone line cord, the sequence of wires is reversed - e.g. yellow to the right side of an RJ-11 at one end, to the left side at the other end. Is this arrangement called "straight through"? I am making a batch of RJ-11, 4 conductor cords that will connect a computer to a...

Cables in wall and house insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe the code forbids running cables so that they Are in contract with each other. If you pass through A beam, I believe they allow 24 inches of contact. How many cables can go through each hole and How big must a hole be? What is the allowable method of running several Cables...

Msg: Please check the signal cables [ 9 Answers ]

The power supply on my computer is fried.. terrible smell, etc. I installed another power supply and the computer lights up and it shows activity on the Hard Drive but it never boots up. It just runs and runs. I get a message on the monitor to "check the signal cables" and nothing else... no...

View more questions Search