Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Solar flood or spot light
    I have a small 2nd home that I am trying to light up a little better for security reasons since I am only there on weekends. I want to light up the back area with one of those dusk to dawn lights, but all I can find are those that are motion sensor type lights that need to be plugged in. I am looking for one that is solar powered so it does not require any plugging in, and will be on all the time once it is dark. Can anyone direct me? Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 04:41 PM
    ? Any major hardware store, home depo, Lowe's and more
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 04:42 PM
    12 Volts system is what I would do. Solar Panel, Charging circuit, Battery(s),12 Volt Motion,
    And 12 Volt Lights. A lot depends on how much lighting you need. More lights mean bigger everything, If not high traffic, you can get away with smaller battery(s)?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 04:45 PM
    The actual light output from one of the solar powered floodlights is not that much. I had a solar floodlight that didn't give off as much light as I had hoped it would.

You might want to check out the new LED lights and see if that fits the bill for you. It costs much less to operate and you can get it to go on at dark. I'm not sure they come in solar powered yet.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 04:47 PM
    I will agree, with the solar, I have had 4 or 5 different ones and never found one I was happy with.
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 04:53 PM
    You can do Led's with 12 Volts, They most always see DC volts anyway. Tri color LED's light yellow with AC(Red and Green combined). You can make the system as bright as you want. Batteries and Solar Panel size is key.
    The hard ware store type, may not light long enough or bright enough light.
    Found this:
    NEW Solar Panel Power Motion Detector Security Light - eBay (item 220192799684 end time Jan-23-08 19:15:00 PST)
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Go with electric if at all possible. The solar powered will just disappoint you.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Electric is OK. If you are in a remote area, Need backup when power fails, and even a cost savings since you need to invest in a system that works when power fail, Natural Disasters even.
    I live in the Florida Keys and Destruction of utilities is a common occurrence after Hurricanes, I am an Electrical Contractor, But Love the Use of 12 volts, Communications, Security, Lighting, Pumps. And be charged By Solar, Wind, or my truck.
    A cheap Solar System will dissapoint you. It does take a Little Money to do it right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay outdoor flood light (motion/optical) [ 1 Answers ]

My HB flood lights stopped working recently, but if I turn the unit to "test", wave my hand in front of the sensor, the lights pop on. Turning it back to 1,5, or 10 minute timer delay does not work, even in the dark. Faulty opical sensor? Would that prevent the unit from operating in timer mode?

Solar Light [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased three Hampton Bay solar lights from Home Depot. Two work fine, but the third one does not come on at dusk like the others. It does come on at approximately 11:00PM at night. Any ideas?

Light line on pregnancy test and started to spot am I pregnant? [ 3 Answers ]

I was 7 days late and took a pregnancy test. I had a light line under positive, then again at 12 days late, I took another test and same thing a light line. I have some signs like Nausea. The 13th day I started to spot am I pregunt?

Outside flood light wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to add outside flood lights to my metal workshop building. Since all the wiring will come from the interior of the building, do I need to use special water tight wiring to install the flood lights on the outside of the building or can I use the flex cable I have been using to wire the...

Hard to remove mini spot light from Hampton Bay Ceiling Fixture [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay Ceiling fixture with three mini spot lights. One of the bulbs has blown out and needs to be replaced. However, we are having a problem doing this. There is no room for us to get our hands around the bulb to remove it. The bulbs have 2 prongs that fit into the base and twist to...

View more questions Search