Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Water heater
    I live part time in Palm Springs. I seem to feel there is a difference in the water there when I shower, in particular, the way it makes my hair feel. It is just not quite right. I am told it is because the water there is what they refer to as "hard" and that I can correct this by getting a water softener for my hot water heater. I have no idea what my friends refer to when they tell me this, can anyone shed any light on this, and just how complicated it might be to make this adjustment to the water heater. Please note that thisis a very small water heater, in a very compact area in a mobile home trailer park.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Water softner and water heater are totally different and separate appliances. The softner is usually a brine tank and a cylinder that looks like a gas tank 4' tall, some are all in one too. The heater just heats the water, the softner changes to chemical makeup of the water and softens it. You don't want to use soft water for your garden or for drinking so you might ask a plumber to give you and estimate to install a softner manifold. You can buy the unit at most home centers or have a pro do it for you. You can be in the $1000 ballpark.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Hey Homeowner... I have another idea for you to try:

This is a water softner shower head... filters only last six months.. but I have been hearing great things about them.

Aquasana makes them.. here is one site you can check out now.. but go to aquasanas site for best prices (and order xtra filters IF you order)

http://www.aquadoc.com/aquasana.htm

Then just have to change the shower head over and should be good to go.. I hope! Let us know what you think.. Mark
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2008, 03:29 PM
    To add to Bobs advice. If you called a local water softener company ,such as Culligans, you would get a small outside unit that would get serviced on a regular basis. At the same time, if running soft water to your toilet disturbs you, you could call in a plumber and have him disconect the toilet from the soft water system and run a cold water line direct to the toilet under the subfloor without too much trouble. Good luck, Tom PS. Sorry Massplumber, We've been posting on top of each other. I really likie the shower head attachment. T.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Now you guys got me searching for the shower head too. Thanks Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Weird things going on with hot water heater and water temp [ 6 Answers ]

I have read the posts about the problems with knocking, mine does this as well. Here's what else I have noticed... All of a sudden my master bath shower does not get as hot as it used to. Some of the faucets still get as hot as before and furthermore the shower in main bathroom only comes out...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

View more questions Search