Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Negative scanner
    I have recently uncovered several hundred family photo negatives and am looking for a type of scanner where I can can them to see what they are. The scanner I have now, will allow me to scan one negative at a time and the results are not that great, since all I get is a small thumbnail type of image which is hard to see. When I try to enlarge it, all the quality is lost so I cannot see the image. I am talking about the type of scanner that I can lay down a row of 6 film strips and view them as I would a proof sheet. Any help would be appreciated.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Instead of spending money on a scanner that you may not use again, I would take the negatives to a camera/photo store. I am sure there have to be a few left in L.A. because there are still some of us "purists" left. :)

Have them create contact sheets/proof sheets for you. Shouldn't be that expensive and should be relatively quick.

The other thing you might want to consider is to find out which schools in your area are known for their photography courses/instructions. Locate one of the professors and tell him/her of your dilemma. For a fee, they may allow you to use their equipment to create a contact sheet, or they may do it for you. Might be the cheaper solution.

These are the routes I would go if I were in your situation and did not have the proper equipment. Once you know what you have, then you can decide how you want to proceed, regarding enlarging,.

Hope this was useful to you.
    rawpotatoeater37 Posts: 244, Reputation: 8

Feb 25, 2007, 01:02 PM
    I agree with RubyPitBull, but if you have several hundred, it could add up.

Are you sure that your scanner is set to the highest quality? Open your preferences and see if there is anything you could change to get a higher quality or a bigger photo.

As far as what to do once they're on your computer, you can use a photo alteration/enhancement program like Adobe, Photoshop or Fireworks and use a command that inverses the color values (so that it looks like a normal photo).

If this doesn't help, then good luck with anything you choose to do!
    saffle Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Mar 3, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by home owner
    I have recently uncovered several hundred family photo negatives and am looking for a type of scanner where I can can them to see what they are. The scanner I have now, will allow me to scan one negative at a time and the results are not that great, since all I get is a small thumbnail type of image which is hard to see. When I try to enlarge it, all the quality is lost so I cannot see the image. I am talking about the type of scanner that I can lay down a row of 6 film strips and view them as I would a proof sheet. Any help would be appreciated.
    Scanning hundreds of negatives is a lot of work and most scans need post processing in photoshop or elements. In order to get proof sheets what I would do is take a piece of white plex and put a lighbulb underneath, then photograph the negatives rather quick and dirty with a system for keeping track of them visually. Roll 1 Roll 2 etc. marked on the sleeves that holds 6 strips together. Then process in something like photoshop to turn into positive so you can view them on your computer. After you've selected your favorites give them to a service to scan or buy an inexpensive USB scanner with a negative strip / slide holder - about $150-175 and scan them for higher resolution and quality if you intend to make prints. Most flatbed scanners do not do transparencies nor have enough resolution - except some may have a "sweet spot" and a "back light"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scanner [ 2 Answers ]

Please can you help me sort a hardware problem out.I have just bought a second hand flatbed packard bell scanner and the installation cd was broken on arrival.I use xp home as my operating system and have service pack 2 installed.Am I able to download the relevant software from the web.The scanner...

Scanner use? [ 2 Answers ]

I have just been given a Packard Bell 1200 plus scanner for Fathers Day! (Lucky me). My question is, is this scanner suitable for scanning my slides (Transparencies). I have 100's from years ago. It has a resolution of 600x1200. Any advice welcomed. Thank you.

Scanner [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Friends, My boss wants me to check for a scanner that can scan at least 10 pages per minute. I do not find any product showing how many pages it can scan per minute. How and from where do I get this info Thanks Ram

Scanner Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi-- I try to open my scanner icon on the desktop--It say's no scanner available--I checked the wire connections etc.--Thanks for any help---

View more questions Search