Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2006, 11:37 AM
    Home heater repair
    I live in a house that is easily over 50 years old, with a heater that is at least as old as the house. One of those heaters that is in the floor and for repairs must be accessed from the crawl space outside the house. Last year I had need to get it serviced and it was not a major issue and was done in one day. They removed the burner part and cleaned out all the little hole that give out the flames. The repair people mentioned that it needs replacing. Naturally, they suggested that they should do the job, and it could be done just overnight, one morning to measure the unit etc, and the next morning to bring in the new one and install it. They mentioned that this new unit would actually be connected to the electrical system, rather than just the thermostate, and a new line would have to be put in. I am rather reluctant to have this done with just one opinion since they are clearly trying to sell me another unit. Has anyone has experience with this kind of thing? Are their hearting and air conditioning places that will come out and give you an estimate for possible repair or replacement. It is the first time in the 30 years that I have been in the house that this issue has come up. Thank you all.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Sep 11, 2006, 01:14 PM
    I doubt that it "Needs" replacing. It could probably use updating for efficiency, but those old unit last forever. Simple and easy to service... Gravity feed no doubt and cast iron... Tough stuff...
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 12, 2006, 07:59 AM
    Your heater sounds somewhat obsolete and inefficient compared to what's on the market today - but if what you have now is working for you without being dangerous - or a strain on your pocket book - it's your choice. Of course they want to sell you a new system - it's how that make their money -but they are also suggesting you move into the 21st century with improved efficiency and safety. If something ever does go wrong with your current heater, it may be next to impossible to find replacement parts. A second opinion from another company may be beneficial in helping you make a decision. You might also ask a qualified home inspector who'll have no financial interest in the matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Which brand water heater to buy? Shopping at Home Depot [ 20 Answers ]

Looks like I'll be shopping for a new water heater soon. Very soon. My currrent water heater after calling the manufacturer has been installed in my house since 1994 that has a listed life expectantcy of 8-12 years. So I think I'm on borrowed time. It still sends out hot water and sends it out...

Horn repair [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to fix my 93 civic horn and can't find a free manual to help. Any suggestions

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Car repair [ 1 Answers ]

Car repair I have a Mercury Sable LS 2000 The lights on the Dash Board that display the gear you are in are not working I was told that I need to change a modal any ideas

View more questions Search