Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sugargirl1956's Avatar
    sugargirl1956 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 10, 2008, 12:59 PM
    How do I become a 1099 contractor?
    I live in New Hampshire and have recently been hired as a 1099 contractor for the job of my dreams.

    I earned money last year, 2007, as a 1099 contractor but would like to make it official so I can put money into Social Security and cover myself legally.

    How do I become a 1099 contractor in New Hampshire?
    Clough's Avatar
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

    Mar 11, 2008, 04:27 AM
    Is there anything in New Hampshire that is preventing you from being this kind of contractor. Where I live, and that would be Illinois, I am a 1099 contractor for a couple of outfits that pay me as an independent contractor. There is no problem here.

    I would think that as long as the firm that hires you files the 1099 form, that there should be no problem with it being "official." However, I don't know the laws that apply to that sort of thing in New Hampshire. Maybe there is a difference there as compared to where I am.

    I did find some information on the following site which you also might find to be helpful.

    What is a 1099 Contractor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099, filing as a self-employed contractor + more. [ 4 Answers ]

I moved to the USA from England around 15 months ago on a marriage visa. In 2006 I worked as a freelancer for the last 2 months of the year, and earned just enough to receive a 1099 form, but I filed jointly with my wife, who has a 'regular' job and had worked a full year. We received a tax refund...

Per Diem for Contractor on 1099-Misc [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Canadian Citizen came from Canada to VA state for a short term 2 months contract which was further extended to 6 months, in 2006 I was paid hourly rate, and my pay was on 1099-misc form Question 1) Can I claim per diem as when I asked from my employer, he told me that you can do so in...

Independent contractor if F-1, no 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an F-1 student on OPT. I worked part-time for several companies over the past year, and I received forms (1099-Misc, 1042-s) from a couple of them. I also worked as a tutor (literacy, reading) for a couple of families. There was no discussion about taxes in the beginning, and they...

1099 for contractor [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation. 1. Company "ABC. Inc", a S corporation has performed service to another company "123, Inc". 2. ABC company send invoice to 123 company for the service. 3. ABC company asked 123 company to issue the check to the individual name of the ABC company's officer, owner. ...

Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated. I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close...

View more questions Search