Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    faithhigdon's Avatar
    faithhigdon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 19, 2013, 08:22 PM
    Enrolling 18 year old in school in Alabama without custody
    I'm 18 years old, my mother just withdrew me from a jefferson county high school where I was to be a senior, to enroll me in a shelby county high school since I have moved in with her and gotten a job father has complete custody of me, but he let me move in with my mother because his work hours don't allow him to take time off to help me get my license/job. So, my question is, in the state of Alabama, where the age of majority is 19, can my mother enroll me without having custody of me? Keep in mind that we don't have time or money to hire attornies, sign over custody, or for me to get emancipated, since school has already started. I can't go back to the school I was at before because it's about an hour away from where I'm currently living, I have no license/car, so I wouldn't have any way to work, and I can't quit because I have bills to pay.
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

    Aug 19, 2013, 08:33 PM
    Call the local high school and ask these questions. That's the only way to find out.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Aug 20, 2013, 03:29 AM
    A letter from your father should be sufficient.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Aug 20, 2013, 07:44 AM
    The simple and easy way, just have mom go and enroll you, do not ask the school, do not tell the school the story, you mom is enroll you in school.

    They do not know, she does not have custody, and really don't care to know.
    If a issue, have dad come and do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Long of NO contact before I can go for custody in Alabama [ 3 Answers ]

My son receives child support through DHR court ordered and taken out of his fathers check. My son has had NO contact with his father since Halloween 2012. He was put in hospital for difficulty breathing due to puss pockets on tonsils on Dec 28 tried to contact his father with no luck. My sis...

Emergency custody forms Alabama [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 17 and has decided that he would like to come live with me ( his father). The mother will not agree. My son is currently living with his friend down the street from his mother. His grades have dropped and school attendance. He has gotten into trouble with the law. He says that his home...

Alabama family law and custody lawyers [ 3 Answers ]

My best friend is too proud to ask for something for free, and I wish that I had more of a way to help her. She is fighting for custody of her son from a dead beat father. The father had a wreck about 5 years ago while he was drunk and high of pot with her son and daughter in the car and she...

Emergency Custody In Alabama [ 1 Answers ]

What do we need to do to get emergency custody of two children in Alabama. The kids need to be removed from the home away from both parents.

Father wants custody in Alabama. [ 5 Answers ]

We were never married, although we talked about it and I did give her a diamond solitaire ring. I'm referring to my girl friend, who lived with me until 4 months ago when I came home from work and she had packed up my 3 year old boy and moved to her mother's. When we first started dating, she told...

View more questions Search