Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Hoffman24's Avatar
    Hoffman24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
    Dual residency in pa
    I live in a township (abington) but do not want to send my daughter to that school system. She is going into her junior year of HS. The next school district over (lower moreland) is where I would like to send her. Our house has been on the market for 6 months but we have been unable to sell or purchase a desired home. Time is running out to register at school. Would she be eligible to go to lower moreland if we rented an apartment in the school district, lived there, but maintained the home in abington? Lower Moreland does not accept tuition from non residents...
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Aug 4, 2010, 11:02 AM

    That would work as long as your residency showed up as the new apartment address.

    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,130, Reputation: 1307

    Aug 5, 2010, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    That would work as long as your residency showed up as the new apartment address.

    Agreed - the main thing is that the apartment in Lower Moreland must be your principal residence - meaning the place where you spend most nights. You should change your driver's license, voter registration, and mailaing address records at your place of employmet to the apartment to help establish intent that this is your new legal residence. The house in Abington becomes your second home (your vacation home, if you will). You can deduct property taxes and mortgage interest on both your primary and one secondary home, so come tax season you won't lose out on deductions for the Abington property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Residency? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm wondering what is dual residency? I recently decided to rent an apartment in PA for my job assignment in New York but my home is in Maryland. I'm not sure if this will be considered a PT resident in PA or dual residency? Any feedback is helpful! Thank you!

Dual residency [ 1 Answers ]

I am a teacher. I entered the USA in August 2007 and I was exempted from income tax for two years. I changed status in August 2009 . Under the substantial presence test I am classified as a Resient alien for part of 2009 that is for the period beginning August 2009. I know that I have to file dual...

View more questions Search