Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fatboyrdk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Heating & Air conditioning Fan
    My home heating & air conditioning fan does not shut off by itself when the temperature is reached. It continues to run constantly.
    I had to unplug the cord to get the fan to stop running.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Which fan is it that continues to run all the time. Is it the outside fan or the inside fan?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2007, 08:23 PM
    If this is the indoor blower that you are talking about, Check the on/auto fan switch on the thermostat, be sure it is switch to the "auto" position. If that does not take care of the problem it could be a stuck relay or bad thermostat etc.. If that doesn't fix the problem give us a little more info on the system age, model, gas furnace straight A/C??

May 23, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    Which fan is it that continues to run all the time. Is it the outside fan or the inside fan?
    It is the blower fan in the furnace itself, not the outside one.
    I unpluged the power cord so the fan would stop. Last night when it got hot in the upstairs I plugged the fan in again and it ran and cooled the upstairs. In the morning I ask my wife to unplug the fan and she said it shutoff when the air stopped. So now it is working again.
    Could it be the fan relay was just stuck? And leaving it off for a long while freed it up?
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 04:45 PM
    I'd say it's a fan relay, sometimes cycleing the power fixes the problem temporarily, but often it will act up again.

May 23, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    If this is the indoor blower that you are talking about, Check the on/auto fan switch on the thermostat, be sure it is switch to the "auto" position. If that does not take care of the problem it could be a stuck relay or bad thermostat etc.. If that doesn't fix the problem give us a little more info on the system age, model, gas furnace straight A/C???
    I did all the checks on the auto-fan switch and believe it is working fine.
    I left the blower fan unpluged for about 5 hours. I plugged in the power again and the air kicked in cooling the upstairs. By morning the fan stopped all my itself again after the cooling temperature was reached. Could it be the relay was just stuck?
    It have never seen this before. The furnace/air conditioners are about 13 years old. I live in Arizona so the Air gets a lot more use then the heating. But in any case that unit doesn't get that much use. I have two air conditioner one for the second floor and one for the first floor. Usually, the downstair gets more use then the upstairs.

How hard is it to replace a Blower relay on a gas furnace?
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 05:01 PM
    I would need the model of the furnace, but it most likely has a circuit board that the blower relay is built into, the whole board would need to be replaced. I would let it go for awhile, It may be 2 days or 3 years before it acts up again.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Some of the furnaces have a lockout delay when a problem shows up in the circuit board, sometimes they are as much as three hours, so it could be that was the problem. I would wait and not do any thing for a while, like someone said above it could reoccur and if it does we can deal with it then.

Please rate this answer if it helped you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating & Air Conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

There was a question I neglected to ask in my previous note. How do I fix a situation involving a radiator. Whenever the boiler turns on and it begins to heat the system, there is a radiator that makes a loud noise as if someone is banging it with a metal object. How do I fix that? Thanks again for...

House Heating & Air Conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there: I have American Standard HEATING AND AIR , After set the temp, the heater is start running hot air, about 4-5 min is worm air, then become cold air and never stop, till manualy shot it off , keep blowing cold air , some one told me go and change the termostat controler but did not...

Heating & Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman furnace. The thermostat is telling the furnace to come on, but it does not. This happens at least twice a day. I have to turn it on by turning the furnace on and off. There is a blinking red light that flashes five times, which I do not know what that means. Please Help

View more questions Search