Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pnull Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Banging noise from baseboard heating system
    I own a condo which I rent out to a young couple.

There are 6-condos in each building with a boiler in the basement sending heat to each condo-unit upstairs. Each condo has baseboard heat and it's own thermostat.

Every time the thermostat shuts the heat off, a very loud "bang" is heard. So loud, it wakes up my tenants... EVERY night. The condo association has not been able to find the source of this problem; air in the system, etc.

My tenants take sleeping pills just to sleep through the night. They are threating to withhold rent if I can't get this fixed.

HELP HELP HELP!!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 03:31 PM
    1 Cycle the boiler and watch the pump when the unit goes off. It could be happening when the pump goes off. 2 Bleed air at the highest point in the system.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Mar 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pnull
    I own a condo which I rent out to a young couple.

There are 6-condos in each building with a boiler in the basement sending heat to each condo-unit upstairs. Each condo has baseboard heat and it's own thermostat.

Everytime the thermostat shuts the heat off, a very loud "bang" is heard. So loud, it wakes up my tenants...EVERY night. The condo association has not been able to find the source of this problem; air in the system, etc.

My tenants take sleeping pills just to sleep thru the night. They are threating to withhold rent if I can't get this fixed.

HELP HELP HELP!!!
    I assume you re running a multiple zone system. First I would check expansion tanks for correct pressure for your size system. If that is good, I have encountered a situation where some "cheaper" zone valves were used which close very quickly once the heat demand is met. When this occurs you can get a water hammer effect. They do sell slow close valves if this is determined to be the case.

Good Luck,
    Morrowrj

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baseboard Heat Banging Noise [ 11 Answers ]

Hello All, For starters I've searched this topic and haven't found anything that can apply to my situation. To set this up. We have a boiler/baseboard heating system that makes loud banging noises when it cycles off, on the first and second floor zones. When heating up it makes a creaking...

Banging baseboard heating [ 1 Answers ]

Several times a day the heating system bangs very loudly. I thought it may be air in the lines so I bleed the lines. It helped but there is still banging at times. What else can I do to fix this problem?

Toilet making banging noise [ 5 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet the supply line makes a banging noise. I thought hammer happens when you turn the flow off. I tried to drain the pipes to empty the air chambers but no luck. The house is about 15 years old with copper plumbing. Thanks for any help.

Loud Banging noise from pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a basement condo a year ago and my neighbors heat pipes goes through my bedroom. Since the day I moved in his furnace has been making clicking and loud banging noises. Last year, we have had a couple of plumbers come in and they have bled the pipes and said that should take care of it....

Loud banging upon turning off baseboard hot water system [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - we have baseboard hot water heat. When we go to bed at night we turn down the temperature on the thermostat, so the system shuts off for a bit as it cools down. After a few minutes we start to hear very loud banging or breakng noises coming from mostly one room of the house (our bedroom). ...

View more questions Search