Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomjak Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Carrier 58GS125-2, Burner shuts down after 10 Sec, no Blower
    I am trying to fix a Carrier Model 58GS125-2 with spark ignition.

Thermostat Switches on Heat
    Spark Starts
    Pilot Lights
    After about 10 seconds Burner Starts
    After about 10 more second Burner goes out
    Pilot stays lit and burner keeps cyling on and off with no blower.

Extra info. 3 Wire Pilot assembly, and blower works in "on" position.

Somebody suggested cleaning/sanding flame sensor... is this the same as the part as the sparker (electrode)?

Any Help?

Thanks!
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Mar 7, 2007, 07:27 PM
    3 wire pilot needs to be cleaned by removing it and clearing the pilot burner, and the pin hole orifice a weak pilot flame will pull away from the bimetal element when the main burner comes on and this will cause short cycling .

Make sure to gas leak test we don't want any accidents

Mar 7, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I will give that a try. I cleaned the flame sensor, but this did not change anything. The pilot flame looks good to me (blue flame), but what you're saying makes sense.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2007, 04:01 PM
    There is also a very good chance the auto pilot simply needs replaced if cleaning it doen't work.

Mar 9, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Thanks for the replies. It turns out that cleaning the pilot did work. I started on the wrong track. I thought the sparker was also the flame sensor, so I cleaned that.

Once the pilot was cleaned, the furnace worked like a charm.
    raysm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Hi, I have a similar furnace
    Model number is 58GS125-JA 160 series
    I can't seem to locate the flame sensor
    I've read that it is usually located on the far left side of the burners and apparently should extend directly into the flame of the left side burner, but I can't seem to find one for this furnace.

At any rate I removed and cleaned the pilot light on my furnace and it seems to also have fixed my problem. However, I would also like to replace the flame sensor
    If I can find it.

Thanks for any help you can give me

Jan 21, 2008, 02:00 PM
    In the model I had, it turned out there wasn't a flame sensor. The igniter had a bi-metal sensor built into it that shuts off the pilot, and keeps the burner going.

When I cleaned the pilot/igniter that resolved the issue, and there was no flame sensor to clean or replace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Furnace model 58STA fan only shuts off for 10 second intervals [ 1 Answers ]

My 3 year old Carrier Furnace, model 58STA had a, seemingly, routine cleaning and check recently. Prior to the service call it was running fine. I noticed that after the cleaning the burner would fire up then the blower would come on. The burner stays on for about 5 minutes then shuts down. ...

Kenmore, NUGK075DG02, Blower comes on then shuts off [ 4 Answers ]

The blower kicks in for a couple of minutes then shuts down, probably because it will not ignite. Any idea what the cause could be?

Furnace blower going but burner not igniting [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace was going on and off very frequently for the past two days. Now the blower is going but the burner is not going on. Any ideas?

Carrier Gas Burner lost power [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a weird problem at home now: For no reason, my GAS burner suddenly lost its electricity power. The light on it went off. It's a Carrier GAS burner, supposedly very good, used only 4 years. I checked the main service panel, everything seems OK. However, no power to the burner...

Oil burner Blower cycling on and off [ 2 Answers ]

Just finished with a new second floor addition. Upgraded to two zone heating from single zone. When heat comes on after expected delay for temp to rise the blower comes on for fifteen seconds then kicks off and comes on again in about two or three minutes, and kicks off again in fifteen seconds, on...

View more questions Search