Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boge32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2007, 06:45 AM
    Furnace won't blow hot air or shut off
    I have a concord 80 plus furnace. Its less then 2 years old. It will not blow hot air, and the motor just runs and will not shut off no matter what the therm is set at. The LED flashes 4 times which says "open limit switch or limit switch circuit". I pulled the limit switch out (at least I think it's the limit switch. About 2 1/2 x 2 inches. Brown board with 2 wires going to it). I was searching the web and can't get any clear answers. Should I just replace this switch, or should I check something else?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Feb 18, 2007, 09:29 AM
    If you can electrically test the device, do that first also check inline (follow the wires) to other switches in the circuit, possibly a draft safeguard , mounted by the flue and ventor motor.

The fault code may be associated with other safeties.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2007, 05:24 PM
    There may be pictures or a description of the limit switch in the sticky at the top of the H&AC forum.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Your description of the limit being a brown board with two wires going to it sounds like you have the right thing. Did you find this up on the wall of the furnace below the vent pipes?
    You can check this limit with a jumper wire, with the thermostat on and the blower blowing touch the metal spade clips that the two wires, use the jumper wire, if the blower stops and the vent motor kicks in (That is if you have one). If this happens that means your limit is bad, one more thing. On one of the wires connected to the limit do you have a small thing about an inch long, that looks like a small firecracker. If you do then use the jumper wire and touch one each end of the fuse, make sure you are touching metal, it the motor starts this is your problem. DO NOT UNDER ANY CONDITIONS LEAVE THE JUMPER WIRE CONNECTED TO THE LIMIT OR THE FUSE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnice Won't Blow Hot Air [ 6 Answers ]

I just turned on the furnace as the cold weather started and I have NO HOT air. All I get is cool air coming through the vents. The fan works - just not the heat. I crawled under the house to "light the pilot" which is supposedly a self lighting light - pushed and held the red button - but...

Furnace hot, air cold [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 years old furnace that has stopped putting out heat. The furnace in the attic is on and there is heat. The exhaust pipe, if that's what it's called, is hot and I can hear the flames. However, the air blowing out of the vents is between cool and warm. I have had the thermostat...

Heil gas furnace won't blow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Heil heat/air gas pack(forced air) unit. It's about 20 years old, but it's been a great one. When I flip the t-stat to HEAT and AUTO I hear the unit outside firing up and I can see heat rising out of the vent, but the blower won't come on to push heat inside my house. When I turn the...

Can't get furnace to blow hot/cold air! [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I recently moved into a house & I can barely tell that any air is coming out. I have just paid to have all the ducts cleaned. Please help me figure this out.

Central ac fan won't blow [ 1 Answers ]

My ac unit in the house works fine, but is no tblowing cold air... I went outside and heard a buzzing/hummimg sound. When I removed the top the fan rotates by hand. I tried reseting my ac circuit breaker but no luck. Do I have a bad fan? Is there something else I can do to troubleshoot? Please...

View more questions Search