Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starchy Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Black specks coming from wood stove chimney
    We heat our 5 year old bungalow with an air tight wood stove, with electric baseboard as backup. The stove has been in almost constant use since November as it is very cold where we live. We burn hardwood exclusively except for softwood kindling to start the fire should it go out. The pipe from the stove is 6" double wall to the ceiling for a total run of 6 ft. The chimney is a SS insulated at 7" diameter through the attic and extends about 10 ft above the roof line to clear the ridge. It has a special cap that prevents downdraught. The chimney is cleaned once per year in the fall before the heating season. We were away for 2 days and when we arrived home we immediately started a fire. The next day when we went outside, we noticed the snow in the front yard was littered with many small black specks that were not there when we came home. This had to have come from the wood stove when we first started it. Is this a sign of a problem? Should I be concerned? Thanks for all responses.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
    It just sounds like a creosote burn off. Did you bank the fire back before you left? If you did a bit of creosote will build up and with a good hot fire flack off and drift up with the smoke

Feb 10, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Thank you, TheSavage, for your response. Yes I stacked the fire before we left and it did burn out in probably 3 or 4 hours. We then lit a fire that was quite hot to bring the temperature up from the 16 oC (61 oF) that the baseboards are set to maintain, so I suspect that what you said is precisely what happened. I had hoped that it did not mean that I had to clean the chimney now as it is rarely above -15 oC (5 oF)in the daytime. As soon as the snow is off the roof, I will have the chimney cleaned. Thanks again.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 10, 2007, 08:48 PM
    You will not need it cleaned. It's a normal part of running a wood stove.
    The main reason for creosote build up is running a banked stove -- the problem is worst when the stove is to big for the space to be heated.

Mar 8, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Thanks for the responses. As it turns out, I had to clean the chimney a few days after my last post. Our setup seems to let a small downdraft into the house when I open the wood stove door to put wood in, when the chimney needs to be cleaned. Actually, the chimney was quite clean when I opened it, but the wire mesh in the rain cap seems to get plugged twice or more per heating season. This reduces the draw of the chimney and we get asome wood smoke into the house. I have cleaned the chimney and all is OK now, and should be until the end of March or mid April when the season is over. Thanks to all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood burning stove blower thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new blower fan for my buck wood burning stove insert and the thermostat that used to have 3 speeds high, med & low now only works on high. I figure I hooked the wires up wrong when I got the new blower fan. Any suggestions on the wiring? Eric

Removing a wood burning stove [ 1 Answers ]

Help! When we brought this townhome it came w/a wood burning stove in the fireplace. It is ugly to us and we would like to remove it. Can we just leave the "hole" and still burn wood?

Black Liquid Coming Out of Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Woke up this morning and noticed black, watery liquid coming out of the thermostat and dripping down the wall. Took the cover off and noted that the liquied is coming out of the shared, wire sheath (that all the wires are in as it goes back into the wall). The heating continues to work just fine...

Cold air coming through Gas Stove top [ 1 Answers ]

Help! Our gas stove top is letting in enormous amounts of cold air through the exhaust located on the top of the stove. Is there a way to block this cold air? Right now we are covering the exhaust with towels which is not safe or cosmetically acceptable.

View more questions Search