Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nygal35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
    Dual zone heating - downstairs zone sweltering
    I have dual zone heating in my condo and the upstairs is working fine but the downstairs is sweltering hot. (80 degrees) I am not cooking and do not have my clothes dryer running. The thermostat is only set to 68 but the system still keeps kicking on. This just started last night. The thermostsat is a programmable one and was replaced in September. I did change the batteries today thinking that that was a possibility but no change. Please advise what to check next.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 23, 2011, 05:11 PM

Upstairs is 80 but what is the downstairs temp? The damper motor that makes the duel zone may not be actuating. It is usually found on the plunum above the furance where the plunum splits into at least 2 main ducts, there are two arm links that will move to close a door inside the duct, see if yours ever moves
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2011, 07:10 PM
    If this is a forced air system. Turn the down stairs thermostat to off and make the upstairs thermostat call for heat. You should not feel any air at the supply registers downstairs if you do you have a stuck damper or a zone control going out.
    nygal35 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 05:19 AM
    Comment on T-Top's post
    It is not a forced air system.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 08:42 AM

What system is it then?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No Heat Upstairs (separate heating zone from downstairs) [ 0 Answers ]

I am not getting heat upstairs when I turn my thermostat up. I don't hear anything when I turn it up. I do however get hot water. My first floor is heating just fine. Recently we had to have our water meter (inside the house) replaced as this was malfunctioning. We heat with oil and have baseboards.

Dual zone heating/ac [ 1 Answers ]

I have dual zone heating/ac in my home. In the winter, is it best to have the second floor set higher and the first floor lower or vice versa? When summer comes, the same question. Second floor set a bit lower than the first floor?

Dual Zone heating [ 4 Answers ]

We have been having problems with our dual zone system, operated by two Simple Comfort 3001 thermostats. When both systems are on, the temperature in one of the zones (typically upstairs when heat is running, downstairs when airconditioning is running) will exceed the limit for that zone, but the...

Dual zone heating [ 1 Answers ]

Tell me the pros and cons of dual zone heating

Dual Zone Heating [ 2 Answers ]

I have forced hot air dual zone heating at my home. When I set the temperature at 70 in the first floor.. The fan is also blowing in my 2nd floor and the temperature increases in the 2nd floor to 70. Where as the thermostat in the second floor is set to 62. I looked at the furnace and saw a...

View more questions Search