Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GPeirce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 03:25 PM
    Coleman Evcon fan keeps running
    Hi all,
    This is my first question and I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 1996 Coleman Evcon gas heater/ac unit in my manufactured home. The problem I'm having is that the fan (not heat or ac) keeps coming on for no reason. Even when I have the heat and ac off, the fan keeps kicking on and running for several minutes - sometimes up to an hour. Then it will shut off and sometimes come on again immediately. It happens sporadically and for seemingly no reason. I had a HVAC tech out but he couldn't figure out what the problem was. And of course while he was here, it didn't come on. I'm afraid it's going to short-circuit or overheat or something from running all the time. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help!
    Amchiller Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GPeirce
    Hi all,
    This is my first question and I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 1996 Coleman Evcon gas heater/ac unit in my manufactured home. The problem I'm having is that the fan (not heat or ac) keeps coming on for no reason. Even when I have the heat and ac off, the fan keeps kicking on and running for several minutes - sometimes up to an hour. Then it will shut off and sometimes come on again immediately. It happens sporadically and for seemingly no reason. I had a HVAC tech out but he couldn't figure out what the problem was. And of course while he was here, it didn't come on. I'm afraid it's going to short-circuit or overheat or something from running all the time. Has anyone else had this problem? Please help!
    If your uit is a package system and it is that od, it probably has a pilot flame for the furnace. The pilot flame can generate enough heat to activate a heat sensor that turns on the blower. The sensor is probably old and worn out as most are just a bimetal strip that is not high tech acurate.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2006, 05:14 PM
    The limit switch could be the problem even if you don't have a pilot light. It will be a little round doodad around the heat excanger or blower with 2 wires running to the control board. There may be more than one. If your heater has a schematic, it may help you identify the right one.

Relays are common trouble makers too, but usually they stick on or off.
    Felrio Posts: 37, Reputation: 3

Dec 31, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Perhaps, just to make sure that the issue is at the unit, isolate it by disconnecting the thermostat and see if it happens again.

The fan does not start just by itself. Something is making it do it.

Perhaps working it backwards may go like this:

Fan<-Relay<-CPU (or some control)<-Safety loops (limit switches)<-Gas Valve<-Draft inducer<-Control Board<-Heat call<-Thermostat (fan on/off, heat, cold, auto).

I Hope this gives some clue...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coleman Evcon BlendAir Alarm [ 3 Answers ]

I have an ~ 1998 Coleman Evcon gas furnace in a mobile home. It has a "BlendAire II" system on it. Recently, an alarm went off which indicates a problem with the vent attic fan. Does anyone know what this does or what typically goes wrong with this ? From what I have read, there is a circuit...

Coleman evcon [ 2 Answers ]

Fan won't come on in heat position

Fan outside not running [ 3 Answers ]

I bought this house two years ago and never had a problem until yesterday that I turned the air conditioning on and only got fresh air not cool and the thermostad won't come lower than 75 degrees, when I checked the fan outside it was not working. The furnace turns on. What should I check to see if...

Coleman Furnace Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I shut off furnace last spring by shutting off gas and pulling breaker. Turn the breaker back on and the blower runs with the thermo turned to off. I've tried to fire up furnace anyhow but it won't start. Only way to shut blower off is by turning off breaker. Was working fine the last time I had it...

View more questions Search