Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 20, 2006, 06:25 PM
    Oil furnace, Burner cuts out
    Ok, my original post was over a noisy draft regulator. Since then I have determined the cause of the regulator banging was the burner going out. This only occurs for a fraction of a second, just little pulses. I changed my in-line fuel filter and my burner nozzle. When I remove the inspection cover I can see this occur. My question is where to look at next. Should I suspect a dying fuel pump ? Or could this be the result of contaminates in the fuel tank ? Has anyone seen anything like this occur >? And, yes, there is over 500 gal in the tank. Unit is Thermo-Pride OH-5. approx 11 yrs.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Go over the suction line to the pump very carefully. The tiniest leak could result in the pump drawing air. More so if the line comes out the top of tank.

Water doesn't burn very well. Could your oil be contaminated?

Dec 22, 2006, 05:20 PM
    Hmm, that's a tall order as my tank is buried outside. I did check it with water finding paste and it was a negative.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Hummmm! Perhaps rig up a small supply of known good oil near the furnace. It that doesn't stop the problem, then you will know it is not the tank or line. Keeping much fuel near the furnace isn't a good idea, but a little for a test should be OK.

Dec 29, 2006, 04:33 PM
    Well, just as a follow up. I performed Labmans recommended test and the burner ran perfectly. This led me to believe I had air getting into the line. However I decided to recheck my inline filter (one month old) and it was plugged! It turns out I had microbacteria(black slime) growing in my fuel tank. A quick treatment of this agent FPPF and I am back in business. Thanks for the help in solving this puzzler. Maybe this will help someone else as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace cuts out [ 3 Answers ]

Has any one found a solution for the Carrier weathermaker furnaces when they fail to cut in when the thermo calls for heat. I have to turn off the power at panel box or kill switch for 5/ 10 seconds then flip back on then the furnace will cut in, apparently some kind of safety sensor, but it does...

Lennox oil furnace [ 3 Answers ]

What is the proper procedure for cleaning a oil furnace, such as cleanouts to heat exchangers and where could I find a exploded view of a lennox oil funace

Furnace flame cuts out [ 10 Answers ]

Having problems keeping flame burning in furnace.Oil furace hadn't been used in 2 years and had oil delivered recently.We figured the tank would be close to empty but were told after it was filled that it was already over 1/3 full. Furnace would light up with yellow flame but then turn blue and...

Oil burner Blower cycling on and off [ 2 Answers ]

Just finished with a new second floor addition. Upgraded to two zone heating from single zone. When heat comes on after expected delay for temp to rise the blower comes on for fifteen seconds then kicks off and comes on again in about two or three minutes, and kicks off again in fifteen seconds, on...

Oil Burner Furnace [ 1 Answers ]

The problem goes like this. Thermostat calls for heat, burner starts and runs for a minute or so and shuts off. After burner shuts off, the blower starts and the burner starts again until the thermostat reaches temp and the burner shuts off blower contiues to run until the low temp limit is...

View more questions Search