Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techcw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Double Pole Thermostat for Baseboard Heat
    I replaced an old 240v line voltage thermostat with a new Lux LV2. I've discovered that a very little amount of electricity is getting through to the load lines when it's turned off. The voltmeter fluctuates between 1 and 2 volts and my non-contact tester picks up the current on these lines as well. Considering none of the old ones that still work have this issue, I'm thinking I ordered a couple of defective thermostats. I tried the one I was going to install in the kitchen as well. Same result. 2 volts isn't much, but it's enough to make me worry. Should this be happening?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 02:12 PM
    There should be Zero volts leaving the stat. This is suppose to be a mechanical device,and both contacts of the double pole switch should be open when the stat is off.

Lux - Mechanical Thermostats: LV2-1042

I, personally, never heard of this brand, so I have no opinion or experience of the quality.

Perhaps a call into their office may be in order.

Lux Products Corporation: Contact
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Nov 10, 2009, 07:47 PM

Some of those line voltage tstats have a resistor inside across the load leads. Probably some kind of heater, or "anticipator". I have seen them installed backwards (load exchanged with line pigtails, professional electricians too!) and because of that there was always some current flowing, but that was on the line side. Possibly the unit you have is doing something like that.

The other thing I can think of is capacitive coupling from line to load that will cause a NCV tester to give a false positive. Also depending on the grade of meter you are using a 1V reading could be instrument noise. However since you said the old ones don't give those readings I will assume that your reading is OK.

I am not familiar with Lux line voltage units, so I can't speak authoritatively on them. Double check the line and load connections for correctness.

EPM
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2009, 08:22 PM

Capacitive coupling sounds less likely than say inductive coupling from a nearby circuit. All it would take is the heater wire to run parallel to an existing circuit and bingo. Phantom voltages.

Kill everything in that room except the heater power at the breaker and try doing the test again.

Interested, for curiosity's sake.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Nov 10, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Capacitive coupling sounds less likely than say inductive coupling <snip>
    You're right. I got the wrong term for what I had in mind.

EPM
    techcw Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2009, 09:31 AM

Well, I had ordered 6 more of these through Amazon for about half the price I paid at prothermostats.com. The first thing I noticed was that the ones ordered through Amazon came in a retail package with a Lux label on the cover. The ones from prothermostats came in a plain white box and the labels had been sanded off. It makes me wonder what went on with these thermostats.

Anyway, I installed one and sure enough, no voltage registers on my voltmeter across the load lines when it's turned off. For some reason the non contact tester is still picking something up, but I'll trust the voltmeter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

From double pole to single pole thermostat -2 extra leads [ 3 Answers ]

The double pole thermostat for the baseboard heater has a red and a black wire coming in (from the circuit panel) and a red and a black going to the heater. The new single pole only has a red LINE lead and a black LOAD lead. If I attach red to red and then black to black, I have black (from...

Can a double-pole thermostat replace a single-pole one? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello -- this is potentially a dumb question, but I have a 1970's era house w/ 240v baseboard heat controlled with single-pole (copper) thermostats. I have a Honeywell TL8230A programmable thermostat which expects a double-pole box. Is there any way I can make this work? I've combined "control"...

Thermostat - changing single pole to double pole [ 4 Answers ]

I am changing two thermostats on electric baseboard heaters from single pole to double pole so I can turn them off without flipping the breaker. The heaters are on the same dedicated circuit. The 1st box has 3 white wires wired together and 2 black. It did not matter how I wired the double pole...

Double pole or single pole thermostat for baseboard heater [ 2 Answers ]

A more specific question here: My 240v baseboard heater says it can be wired with a single or double pole thermostat. Since 240v is already "dual pole" with two hots, do I want to stick with a double pole thermostat? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each? Thanks.

View more questions Search