Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boxcar1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 05:45 PM
    6 year old Payne Heat Pump compressor failed
    The compressor on my 6 year old Payne Heat pump failed. The HVAC guy offered 3 solutions.

1. replace compressor - cost $1100 -$1300

2. replace whole outside unit - cost $2500

3. replace everything with new, more efficient unit cost: $7k+

It is Payne model PH10 2.5 ton R22. HVAC guy said other than compressor, rest looks pretty good condition.

My questions: Which option makes most sense given unit age?
    If I would like to replace whole outside unit, where can I find one? He said he could install if I can find.
    Are the prices in line for this sort of work?

Thanks!
    Boxcar
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 08:33 PM

First, don't replace the compressor, it's a waste of money and normally only comes with one year warranty. Six years is pretty early for compressor failure,I'd call for a second opinion,if it is bad,have the next company give you a quote on replacement of the existing air conditioner and coil. Get several quotes from well known companies,find a good warranty plan, ten years parts and labor is the going thing on most brands right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump - Payne [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I sent a request to Carrier regarding my question but they want to send a service rep. instead of answering my question. I have a one year old heat pump that was added to my medium efficiency furnace. I live in Canada, West Coast, and the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It...

Heat Pump AC Compressor Explosion Cause? [ 3 Answers ]

Why does a compressor explode?

Payne heat pump -- will not run [ 2 Answers ]

Help! My problem started with the compressor not running with the heat switch on. I checked the thermostat wiring and found that the tstat was not wired per the manual for a heat pump with aux heat. I fixed that problem and the unit would run but not blow warm air. I called out a technician and...

Payne Heat Pump loose fitting [ 1 Answers ]

My Payne heat pump was installed August 2003. Noticed a few months ago that it would run constantly. Had it checked out. Repairman said it was leaking through the flare fitting. My question is: If a flare fitting was tighten three years ago can it jiggle loose on its own, because of the vibration...

Heat Pump compressor fan problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane XE 1000 heat pump manuf. In 2002. Yesterday, the A/C started having a problem, I checked the units inside and out and found the compressor fan not operating. The outside unit was hot and louder than usual. I turned it off overnight and this morning turned it on to find the fan...

View more questions Search