Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    georgeequal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Furnace Flame Sensor - Multiple Failures
    Dear Experts,

I have an ArcoAire RPJll furnace, vintage 1993 - natural gas. The furnace came with a 50A55-120 controller and a WR 760-470 flame sensor. Since installation the furnace has consumed 1 to 2 flame sensors a year and 3 controllers since installation. At present it has the 50A55-843 controller and the WR 760-410 flame sensor. It works about 50 % of the time on first attempt to light and maintain the main burner and 50 % on the second attempt. The problem is that occasionally the system goes into lock out after failed attempts by the flame sensor and the control flashes the code indicating so. The conditions have been reviewed by technicians numerous times including; gas pressure in and at manifold, polarity, grounding, and control module grounding. The most recent attempt was to replace the flame sensor wire - to no avail. I'm at the end - the technicians (several) have thrown up their hands and I'm exhausted with worry that I'll come home to a cold house or worse - frozen pipes. The experts have followed the technical sheets and it works for a day, maybe two, then the condition is back again. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. George
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2006, 06:55 AM
    OK, this is going to probably come across wrong but is probably the best thing you can do. I don't like ArcoAire, are they even around still? How much money have you paid in the last 5 years fixing that thing? It is 13 years old and probably will crack the heat exchanger in 4 more years, if you can get it to run. Maybe its time to get a Rheem/Ruud, American Standard/Trane or Maytag furnace. By the way, I'm not a big fan of Maytag, it is just a glorified Nordyne, but a free 10 year part and labor warranty backed by one of the nations oldest companies is worth something, especially at today's repair costs. Some times you need to know when to cut and run. Also I'm not sure about the service company you are using, the third time should be the charm.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 28, 2006, 08:02 AM
    You have a bad ground somewhere. Look over your grounding from the panel to the furnace. Also all grounding in the furnace area. Remove the screws in the furnace area and clean off the paint then reassemble. Been there done that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MAP sensor;Mass Airflow sensor;Volume Air sensor-All Same? [ 8 Answers ]

97 Nissan Pickup - 160,000 miles - KA24E engine -Check engine Soon Light Code reader says volume air sensor. Is this the same as a mass airflow sensor or the MAP sensor? Where is this sensor located, in the throttle body injection? Just threw a new O2 (Bosch)sensor on it, I lost that bet.. it...

Flame on! [ 4 Answers ]

Please HELP. I'm having a problem with my furnace rather it's my thermostat it's no responding to the temperature. I replcae it with a new one and it's still the same the second I turn power on the flame and fan blower turns on.What could it be. The wring it's only two wires. W and r.

Windows XP update failures after Service Pack 2 installation [ 2 Answers ]

Since installing XP Service Pack 2, the few updates that have occurred subsequently have all failed to install after downloading. Downloading seems to reach 95% completion normally and then slows right down. 'failed' then appears against the update name.

Eudora graphic failures [ 1 Answers ]

Using Eudora 5.9, I have frequent incoming messages containing graphics which show only a Red X in a box... somtimes I can 'hover' and read a jpg file name and it will be in the "attach'' folder... other times it will not be there. Also, there are frequent occasions when the graphics are a bunch...

Old flame? [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to get an old boyfriend out of my head. I think of him often even though I am with someone. I felt like we were like best friends. Things just didn't work out though. Any ideas? Will I ever see him again? Does he think of me? Or is this all in my head?

View more questions Search