Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chickenkicker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2009, 04:03 PM
    Tempstar AC unit freezing up.WHY
    I have a Tempstar high energy 5000 AC unit. Has had not a problem for 10years. I arrived home today to find that the line and looking in the top of the unit had an ice build up.
    Can anyone tell me what it is. I am in cincinnati. 86 and humid today
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 26, 2009, 04:08 PM

Change your filters first, let us know how dirty they were. If filter is plugged, it will cause low airflow wich in turn will cause freezing of evap coil. Let us know what you find and we will take it step by step.

Aug 26, 2009, 04:15 PM
    That's the first thing I did. The filter did not look to bad. It was under 90 days used. Should I hose off the unit. I first noticed that I had virtually no air flow out of my registers. Which lead me to where I am now.

Aug 26, 2009, 04:15 PM
    That's the first thing I did. The filter did not look to bad. It was under 90 days used. Should I hose off the unit. I first noticed that I had virtually no air flow out of my registers. Which lead me to where I am now.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 26, 2009, 06:28 PM

I suggest shutting thermostat to off keep it off overnight(this will allow coil to thaw). Then turn unit on in the morning and let me know how the air flow is. Spraying off outdoor unit is a good idea, but plugged condenser usually does not cause freezing. If filters have been neglected at one time or another, your evap coil may be plugged. Your best bet is to have a pro in to check system and determine cause of freezing. Make sure to have them explain what the problem was, and if it was an easy fix, maybe next time you can fix it yourself, or prevent the problem with do it yourself maintenance. And if the problem was of a bigger nature, you will know that the money was well spent by having a pro into find and solve issue.

I suggested checking filters as an easy do it yourself fix, beyond that, it takes an extreme knowledge to trouble shoot an ac system. Good luck and please let us know how things work out.

PS. If tech finds a low refrigerant charge, make sure that they have found the source of the leak and fixed it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC on Newer Tempstar PGX3 unit won't come on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently purchased a house with a Newly installed Tempstar PGX3 AC/Heating Unit. (Installed in 2007) I used the Heat over the winter and it worked fine, but when I tried to use the AC yesterday, I noticed it was actually getting hotter in the house. I went outside only to see that the Fan...

New Tempstar unit odor [ 1 Answers ]

I had a new 2 ton Tempstar Heating/AC unit installed about 21/2 years ago. The first year it worked fine, the second the AC stopped cooling, over a week of calling the dealer to get them to check it out they finally came and ended up replacing the freon and doing an acid wash on the coils. The...

New Tempstar Heating/AC unit odor [ 1 Answers ]

I had a new 2 ton Tempstar Heating/AC unit installed about 21/2 years ago. The first year it worked fine, the second the AC stopped cooling, over a week of calling the dealer to get them to check it out they finally came and ended up replacing the freon and doing an acid wash on the coils. The...

Honeywell T8411R thermostat to Tempstar Unit [ 1 Answers ]

I friend of mine that works with HVAC gave me a Honeywell T8411R and wired it up to my Tempstar Unit. He had difficulty getting it to work right but eventually got it... we thought. Come to find out it was only using emergency heat, not the heat pump. I spoke with another HVAC guy and he walked...

Tempstar heating unit problems [ 3 Answers ]

Our digital thermostat is blank.

View more questions Search