Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaymann Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 11:08 PM
    Inside blower starts after several clicks?
    This is a Lennox UHG4-75A-2. The model is 80UHG. Inside blower tries to restart (hear several clicks and occasional "chunk" sounds before the fan starts. It is not dead yet but the clicking is getting more frequent before the fan kicks in.
    If I turn the thermostat a/c off and switch to fan, the fan comes on immediately.
    Was thinking either the motor, cap or board. Swapped out thermostats anf the problem remains. Have not disassembled anything yet. Any thoughts or advice?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 12:42 AM
    If I turn the thermostat a/c off and switch to fan, the fan comes on immediately

If that is the case the motor is probably good and the fault lies in the low voltage area of the unit. Something is preventing the full voltage from activating the blower relay right away when there is a call for cooling. I would measure the low voltage output of the transformer for starters and the work my way through the low voltage control system. It could be as simple as a loose or dirty connection causing this to happen.

Clicking or chattering of a relay/contactor is usually caused by a disruption of the low voltage powering the relay or contactor.

Aug 10, 2009, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    If I turn the thermostat a/c off and switch to fan, the fan comes on immediately

If that is the case the motor is probably good and the fault lies in the low voltage area of the unit. Something is preventing the full voltage from activating the blower relay right away when there is a call for cooling. I would measure the low voltage output of the transformer for starters and the work my way through the low voltage control system. It could be as simple as a loose or dirty connection causing this to happen.

Clicking or chattering of a relay/contactor is usually caused by a disruption of the low voltage powering the relay or contactor.
    I checked the transformer and it was putting out 26V. I also noticed that the fan worked fine in the Heating cycle or on Fan only cycle. Cap checked out OK. Tried to check the resistance on the motor but they did not add up (I'm not sure I am doing this right anyway). Noticed the Cool cycle was using the High Speed while Heat was using Low speed. Switched Cooling to the Medium Speed connector and still continue to have the problem.

I noticed with every click (attempt to start) the blower wheel would turn maybe an inch. After several attempts, the blower would fire up and then die out before reaching the set temprature. As sok as it dies the clicking begins ane it ties to restart. Any ideas?

Aug 11, 2009, 01:42 AM
    http://www.hvacparts.ca/LennoxPDF/80UHG.pdf

The above diagram if correct for your unit might be handy for you to keep.

Based upon what you have said and tested the blower relay on the circuit board is not working properly when called to work in the cooling mode. It seems to work OK when you manually switch the thermostat to fan on but it has problems when you call for cooling and the fan is automatically to come on when the outside unit does for the cooling process.

Try this. Turn the thermostat down to call for cooling then switch the blower to ON instead of being on automatic. Lets see if the blower comes on without problems when there is a call for cooling and the blower switch is ON at the thermostat and NOT on automatic.

While you might have 26 volts at the transformer that does not mean you have 26 volts to power the control system. It is possible one of the devices is drawing too much current and causing a problem back at the blower relay that is attached to the circuit board in the unit. In other words if the contactor outside or some other control in the low voltage part of the system is drawing too much current then it is very possible that the voltage available at the blower relay is 20 volts or less.
    Now it is also possible that the relay itself is going bad but it is best and cheaper to test all other possibilitys first then replace the circuit board.

Another thing you might do is to make sure ALL low voltage connections are clean and tight with no damage. That is from the thermostat to the inside unit then to the outdoor A/C condensing unit. Many times I have found loose or dirty connections and when dealing with such low voltage and amperage it does not take much to cause a problem.

Aug 18, 2009, 10:13 PM

Now I appear to have problems with the blower by itself and as part of the cooling cycle. I noticed that when the fan stops working the ACB Cool voltage drops off. When the fan come on again the voltage is back to 120v. The Transformer out to the board stays constant at 24V while this is happening.

When I direct wire the blower it works fine.

I have not checked the outside low voltage, but the inside seems fine. I'm suspecting the board now. What do you think?

Thanks for the link. Yes I had a copy, which has been very helpful.

Aug 18, 2009, 10:24 PM
    If the blower motor runs when directly connected then the problem has to be else where. If you have checked everything else then it would point to the board. They are not cheap but if you need one go for it.

Aug 30, 2009, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions hvac1000!

As suspected, the board swap out worked like a charm. Wish I could have found a loose connection instead. But nice to have the a/c back at 100%.

Aug 30, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Glad you got it going

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox blower don't come on at all it clicks [ 1 Answers ]

2 green lights flash on the furnace, but the blower want come on. It clicks like its going to come on but don't

Inside unit blower works. Outside fan does not. Compressor clicks once? [ 2 Answers ]

The a/c was working fine last night. This morning, I noticed the fan in the outside unit was not running but the blower on the inside unit was blowing. I turned off the unit at the outside breaker box and turned it back out. When I did, I think it was the compressor I heard click but then nothing....

Central heater furnace starts and blower starts for 30 minutes and then fan shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

We start our central heater and the furnace kicks in and then the blower starts and the house warms up but when it reaches the desired temperature. When the temp. drops and you can hear the furnace start but the blower will never kick in. If we shut off the whole thing and wait about 1 hour, we...

Heater starts up, but blower never comes on [ 22 Answers ]

I have a gas heater that stopped working after only a day of use this season. The pilot lights up, but the blower never comes on. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Trouble Starting, Clicks a few times then starts, power is fine [ 2 Answers ]

Car:Subaru outback, 98 A while back I went to start it and got the 'click' tried again and it started no prob. A few weeks later same thing, but took a few tries to start, was sluggish to start at first but then turned over. Yesterday it did it again. Clicked about 4-5 times, then a little...

View more questions Search