Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Exgunteacher Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 15, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Replacing old thermostat
    I bought a new thermostat (digital 7 day programable) for the main part of the house, and I was going to move the old digital to the "gas fire place heated room". My problem... there are only 2 wires coming out of the wall going to the gas fire place. The old one had 3 from the wall and the RC (or was it Rh? ) doing a 'jump'. The 2 wires are red and white, so where do I attach them to my old digital thermostat?

:confused:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Since you only have two wires coming to the thermostat. All your thermostat will do is act like a broken wire and as you move the temp up it will be like touching the two wire ends together. So put one of the wires (it doesn't matter which one) to the terminal marked W and the other to the Terminal marked RH, if this does not make it work then connect RH and RC together if those are the terminals that you have. I think that is the way I understood it from your question.
    I am not sure how your new thermostat is going to work if you only have three wires to connect to it unless you do not have AC working off the same thermostat. Fill me in.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Yes, connect the red to RH and the white to W. Now if it originally had a third wire to a B or C terminal, you may need to run a third wire to it from the opposite side of the transformer as the red.

If the third wire connected to Y or G, you shouldn't need it at the fireplace.

Oct 15, 2006, 08:34 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried all of the above to no avail. I tried the white wire in the W and red in RH. Red in W and white in RH. And then I tried it with the RC/RH jump with both combinations. When I adjust the heat (in hopes the fire place will start up), the thermostat clicks, as if it's acknowledges the change, but the fire place does not kick on, and the fan doesn't start. Is this a hopeless cause?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2006, 08:54 PM
    If connecting the red and white wires doesn't turn the heat on, the problem is not in the themostat. Got to the other end of the wires and try shorting them. If nothing, see if you have voltage. If not, the transformer may be bad.

Oct 15, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Once again, thank you for all the insight! The fire place worked with the old thermostat on it... leads me to think it may be operator error. I'll try the other end and see if that works tomorrow. Hope it doesn't get too cold tonight!

Oct 16, 2006, 05:33 PM
    HA! I was trying everything I could think of to get this thing to work. Then I switched it from pilot light' to 'on' and everything worked wonderfully! Who knew?? I had turned the pilot light off when I first started the project (yes, I was a little scared about it). Thanks for your help! :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring question replacing Honeywell thermostat w/Hunter [ 0 Answers ]

I am replacing an old standard Honeywell thermostat (model T8034C) with a Hunter programmable digital model 44110. I have a 5-wire system. The wires are color coded and the Honeywell labels match the wire colors. Those are: White, Yellow, Green, Orange, and Red. THe only labels on the...

Please Help w/Replacing Honeywell Thermostat... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I've just removed my Honeywell Thermostat and am trying to replace it with a Noma programmable tstat... but am having problems with the wiring. There are 5 wires coming out of the wall - Green, Black, Orange, Red and White, and only 4 posts on the Noma tstat (Green, Red, Yellow and White). ...

Replacing trim [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of replacing some of the wood trim in my home. Some areas on the sheet rock does not have 2x4 reinforcement to nail to. How would you suggest I install the trim with? It seems that when I use the trim nails they will not hold the wood flush against the sheetrock.

Replacing headlamps [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 2002 nissan altima and am trying to replace my H1 headlamps. I know that I have to remove the headlight housing to replace the bulb, but cannot figure out how to remove it. The manual that came with the car states that I hae to return to the dealer to do this. NO WAY... Someone, please...

Replacing monitor [ 1 Answers ]

When installing a new(used) monitor,does the old one have to totally removed as far as software is concerned? What I mean is,I unplugged the connections to the old one and plugged in the new one,worked for awhile,then got a black screen with the message"Monitor out of range". Did not get...

View more questions Search