Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nairb16003 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 05:55 PM
    Goodman Furnace
    My Goodman furnace will light and then go out. This will occur 3 times, then will quit running. The control board blinks 1 time and tells me to Check Gas flow, gas pressure, gas valve, and flame sensor. It seems to have gas going to the valve. Could this be a bad gas valve? Or a bad Flame sensor?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 08:11 PM
    My guess is that you have a problem with the flame sensor. This is something that looks like a heavy wire sticking up into the flames of the burner. The wire then goes to a ceramic base with a wire coming out of it. This will be secured to the furnace with a screw. Undo the screw, slip the ceramic and wire out of the hole provided for it and than use a piece of fine sandpaper on the wire part of the sensor that goes up into the flame. Shine this wire good with the sandpaper and then replace it back into the hole and secure it. Try the furnace again it should light and stay lit, if it goes out once and then right back on that may be normal but if it lights and goes out for several times and then does not light at all you may have to have a new flame sensor. They are easy to replace. Just go one step further than you did when you cleaned it and that is to unplug the wire from when the ceramic is and that is it.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    My guess is that you have a problem with the flame sensor. This is something that looks like a heavy wire sticking up into the flames of the burner. The wire then goes to a ceramic base with a wire coming out of it. This will be secured to the furnace with a screw. Undo the screw, slip the ceramic and wire out of the hole provided for it and than use a piece of fine sandpaper on the wire part of the sensor that goes up into the flame. Shine this wire good with the sandpaper and then replace it back into the hole and secure it. Try the furnace again it should light and stay lit, if it goes out once and then right back on that may be normal but if it lights and goes out for several times and then does not light at all you may have to have a new flame sensor. They are easy to replace. Just go one step further than you did when you cleaned it and that is to unplug the wire from when the ceramic is and that is it.
    That's probably it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace problems [ 21 Answers ]

Hi - I have a Goodman GPM furnace. It works intermittently. I replaced breaker, thermostat, Control board and surface igniter. All appears well on start up sequence ; blower runs and igniter heats up and then turns off as no gas comes out. Control board codes says OK. Can anybody recommend what to...

Goodman furnace gmp [ 7 Answers ]

Ok. I can turn the thermostat to 72 and it will stay on 64 with the fan blowing constant. Burners aren't firing. On the control board for the furnace, there is a trouble shooting light that blinks to tell you what is wrong. It blinks four times which indicates an "Open Limit Switch", and it tells...

Goodman furnace [ 17 Answers ]

I have a goodman furnace. Forced air. No a/c. I turn the power on and she starts. Thermostat is off. No wires are crossed that are visible. The pilot does not ignite but the heating element is on. No gas seems to be coming through. Any suggestions? The furnace is only a year and a half old.

Goodman Model A32-15 [ 1 Answers ]

I understand how ot wire abasic thermostat but on my Goodman I have OTC-OT1-OT2 & OT3. What are these for?

View more questions Search