Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hsbunny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Ice forming on central air inside unit
    When I run the central air(I live in a condo that has a unit in the closet)after about 2 or 3 hours ice starts forming on unit vent.. then it melts and drips all over the closet floor.. What should I do?
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Jun 9, 2009, 05:21 PM

Its freezing up,has the filter been changed lately?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 06:32 PM

Either dirty air filter, blocked return, bad blower motor or low on freon. Ckeck the filter and the blower for good operation first.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2009, 07:40 PM

Also even though you change the filter the evaporator coil could still be clogged with lint and pet hair.

Sometimes they are very hard to clean but if you want to try it let me know and I will try to talk you through it.
    carolc4 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu View Post
    Also even though you change the filter the evaporator coil could still be clogged with lint and pet hair.

Sometimes they are very hard to clean but if you want to try it let me know and I will try to talk you through it.
    Hi letmttellu where is the evaporator coil and how do I clean it?
    Thanks so much for helping hand.
    [email protected]
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 10, 2009, 08:35 AM

I have a newer townhome unit built within 2-3 yrs, my C/A unit is sitting outside on the patio, however, I have had trouble with this as well. What I have been told by different repair/installers is that this is caused by the condenser switch. When the unit is running and the temp drops below 68-70 degrees the condensation is unable to thaw and the condensation builds up. This has caused severe damage in the unit as the water leaks back into the unit causing water in the duct work. This has ripped open the ceiling from the water pooling. I'm just not certain this was well thought out during development.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2009, 01:05 PM

It depends on what system you have. Is your air handler in the attic or is it downstairs, but the evap coil is upstream from the blower if it is an up flow system.

Look for a large copper pipe a small copper pipe and a large PVC pipe these should be coming out of the coil box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I connect new outside unit to older inside unit for a heat pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a heatpump system. The outside unit is very old and is different manufacturer than the newer (9yr old) inside unit. Outside unit has gone bad. Can I connect a new TRANE Outside unit with SEER of 13 to my 9 year old TRANE inside unit with SEER of 10 which still seems to be working...

Outside central air unit stays on when blower shuts off inside [ 1 Answers ]

I have a central heat and air unit. Why does my outside air conditioning unit stay on after my inside blower shuts off? It does not stay on every time the blower shuts off, but it does stay on a lot. It has been doing this for several years now.

Ice is forming on back of my fridge from inside. [ 3 Answers ]

It is a Bosch Fride/freezer. Anybody can tell me why? It is 3 years old

Outside unit doesn't come on when thermostat turns inside unit on so no heat? [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat will trip my heater to turn on. The inside blower turns on but the outside unit doesn't turn on. I can get it to go by turnign off the unit at the thermostat and waiting a minute. I turn it on and off until I hear the outside unit turn on. The problem is when the Thermostat turns if...

View more questions Search