Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GraduationHavoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 10:00 PM
    Septic Pump Float Failure
    Throw out my common sense with the trash. I need help.

2 weeks ago, Memorial Day Weekend, my septic pit overflowed. I called my plumber/friend, who was unavailable. I decided I could pull out the septic pump and replace it.

I pulled it out and removed the minimal hair and such. I plugged it in and lifted the float and it blew air. I figured the float was stuck? I submerged the pump, added water and watched it exhaust 3 times before closing up the pit. Success I thought.

No problems for 2 weeks. This morning, the day we are hosting a graduation party, I awake and find the pit has overflowed again. Well, I know how to figure this out... I thought. Pulled it out, tested it above ground. No apparent problems. Submerged it. Added water and watched it work several time before closing up the pit.

Mid afternoon, I had an overflow on the basement floor once again. I decided to make a run to Menards and get a new pump. 1/2 hp Coleman Septic. I had it licked I thought.

Submerged it. Added water. Watched it exhaust several times. Closed up the pit.
    Worked just fine.

Until tonight. Overflow again. I pulled the new one. Put the old one back in and watched it exhaust several times. Then before my eyes, I watched the water rise, the float rise and nothing. I reached in pushed the float arm down and it popped up and exhausted the water. The float is not touching the wall and it is rising. Besides hiring a professional, do you have any ideas for me?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2009, 04:55 AM
    Why wasn't the float switch replaced instead of the pump? You have bad contacts in the switch. Can it be opened so you can clean them? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump compressor failure ? [ 1 Answers ]

Our heat pump started making a funny sound, like it wanted to start but would stall out. The fan was workingg though, the unit was not cov'd in ice, the pipes outside were cool to touch,the aux heat was already on, which is normal , as it has been very cold here, the heat was keeping up to what...

Aerated septic system failure [ 14 Answers ]

I have a septic system that smells up the bath and yard. I have noticed it for the past couple of years and decided to get the tank pumped out and a new aerater installed.It seems worse when there is high traffic,which is common here, as this is a fishing camp.I have a 2 inch vent in the...

Submersible pump failure [ 6 Answers ]

I have a shared well with a neighbor. The submersible pump, which was probably 10 years old, failed this Spring (Franklin submersible). The water line to the neighbors' house also froze this Winter, which required the road to be dug up to correct the frozen pipes. My guess is the constant draw...

Hot Water Circulation Pump failure [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We have a Grundfos hot water circulation pump installed. All was fine and dandy until last week when we had a water outage for several hours. Now the pump is making terrible noises and I disconnected it.. Questions: 1. Is there a way to repair it or do I need to get a new one? 2. I saw...

Septic pump check valve [ 1 Answers ]

My septic (effluent) pump runs about 5 times a day. This started about a week ago. I think it is my back-up valve. How do I remove and check valve? After I am finished how do I ensure that my pump is primed and working?

View more questions Search