Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harrykalas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Rheem Classic 90 Plus flames out after a few seconds
    :eek: My attic furnace (Rheem Classic 90 Plus) ignites and then flames out after only a few seconds. I have found water pooled in the pan below the furnace on a few occasions. I have found similar problems & solutions online, but the lingo is a little over my head. I need somebody to describe what I am looking at.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 06:25 PM
    If the circuit board has a diagnostic LED, observe it and check the service label for an explanation. What you describe is consistent with what happens as a result of a dirty flame sensor.

Feb 19, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Which is the flame sensor?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Look for a small, ceramic-insulated steel rod, mounted on the burner assembly, with a single wire attached. Don't confuse the ignitor for this (2 wires). Taking it out and cleaning it with abrasive cloth or steel wool restores its sensitivity to flame current. HVAC1000, WE HAVE ANOTHER PHOTO OP!:p
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 06:16 PM
    A little late but here it is.
    Attached Images

T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2009, 08:18 PM
    If your condensate drain on the furnace is restricted the pressure switch will open and shut the furnace down. Check for a restricted drain line, that may be the reason why you are seeing water around the furnace. The rubber lines from the collector box inside the furnace going to the condensate trap have been known to deteriorate and come apart.
    electricianlady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Comment on hvac1000's post
    Best answer ever and all I needed to know is which was the ignitor and which was the sensor. Thanks

Feb 22, 2009, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the illustration!
    momo73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2010, 11:57 PM
    They say not to use steel wool anymore. I was advised by my service shop to only use a damp rag and rub hard to clean off the flame sensor and it has been working ever since.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT Rheem Classic 90 series 3 years old [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Classic 90 Series Rheem RGRA series upflow/downflow furnace 3 years old. Intermittently, the furnace will not flame up or give out heat. Sometimes it only blows cold air. Sometimes, it locks out (middle green light flashing once then pausing). The furnace repair company came out and...

Rheem 90 Classic [ 5 Answers ]

For the last month or so my two year old Rheem 90 Classic model #RCGA-36A2GG21XI condensing furnace keeps cycling on for a minute, the flame lights up, the fan comes on and then it turns off. A minute later the same thing happens for about 5 times. Then all of a sudden it works fine. A couple of...

Rheem HVAC classic 90 that will not light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Rheem HVAC classic 90 that will not light The electronic igniter will not lit the burners I have changed the igniter and still will not work I can light the burners with a match but when it gets to temperature it will not light for the next cycle

Rheem Classic 90 duct cleaning [ 1 Answers ]

While I had the blower of my 10 year old updraft Rheem 90 HVAC system removed for inspection and cleaning, I noticed that above the fan in the duct there is a coil with black, gooey, fibrous material coating it on the bottom, which sloughs off easily. Is this an accumulation if dirt that should be...

Rheem Classic Clicking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with my outdoor Rheem Classic 9 Heat Pump I just reciently changed the fan control relay, after a week of running it seems to be clicking. I problem I had before with the relay was it would not turn the fan. I can tell the clicking is coming from that relay. I don't know if...

View more questions Search