Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gleasman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2008, 06:17 AM
    How is a thermostat tested?
    Is there a way to test a home HVAC thermostat? Maybe with a multimeter? Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2008, 06:29 AM

You could. It depends a lot on the type of stat. Powered, mercury, line etc.

Mercury stats have to be level and at the same additude.

You may have to provide battery or 24 VAC power to the stat.

Since the thermostat is a collection of contact closures, for the most part. There are a few with indicating lights.

These contact closures are from R, Rc or Rh to each terminal.

If the stat is in the right mode, then the correct contact should close.

In a simple stat with R, W, Y, and G, there will be closures between R and W, R & Y, R and W and R an G depending if there is a call for heat, call for cool or call for fan. A call for heat in a gas system does not cause a call for fan. A call for cool does.

You have to know a fair bit on how a tstat operates to know what to check.

Although a multimeter can likely tell you you have a bad stat, it may not tell you if you have a good one using resistance.

Using a small load or a relay and measuring the voltage drop across the tstat contact will give you a better idea of tstat health.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting a medication tested at a lab or somewhere [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know whether a private citizen can get their medication tested somewhere to ensure it is what it's supposed to be? I called a local Pharmacist and was surprised that they knew of no place. I have a prescription for a sedative/anti-anxiety. For the last 2 refills they have not been...

Eye sight being tested. [ 9 Answers ]

I am 24 and have worn glasses for reading and working on my laptop for about a year now. I required a prism lens in one of the frames (if anyone knows what that is I'd love to know), recently I feel my eyesight is getting worse. How often are you supposed to go for a test?

Not tested at all? [ 8 Answers ]

My niece and nephew are homeschooled by their mother. When baby #3 came in Nov. '06, they took a "2 month break" and are making up that work NOW. She said they'll be done in 6 more weeks, take a "2 week summer break" and then start the next grade. They do not take them to be tested for their...

Should I get tested [ 3 Answers ]

OK well I never did this before but thought I'd try and see what I get.ok I had my son aug 11.and I had my regular postpartum bleeding and everything.somtime in sept I started to spot.it was dark redish brown.and I saw that for a few days.and after that I did have sex.well it was the day that it...

Scared to get tested [ 12 Answers ]

I just got out of a 2 year relationship like 4 months ago. I only had, had sex with my ex who I loved very much. I'm 19 by the way. We had sex when I was 17 and he was almost 5 yrs older than me and we had it continuously through the 2 years we were together. We were always safe and cautious. With...

View more questions Search