Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Submersible pump failure
    I have a shared well with a neighbor. The submersible pump, which was probably 10 years old, failed this Spring (Franklin submersible). The water line to the neighbors' house also froze this Winter, which required the road to be dug up to correct the frozen pipes. My guess is the constant draw on the pump for a period with a frozen water line is the reason the pump failed. Is this the likley cause of failure?

Thanks for your feedback
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 12:06 PM

I doubt that the freeze caused the failure, probably the other way around. Unless you mean the pipe burst and water ran 24/7. A frozen line would have no draw, just like a closed main on the house.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 12:11 PM

I would disagree somewhat with ballenger. The pump does require water for both cooling and lubercation, so if there was no flow for a period failure can be attributed to this.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 12:15 PM

KISS, picture this; pipe burst so you have flow 24/7 with plenty of cooling and lub. Pipe freezes you have no flow or pump action so cooling isn't required. Maybe if Ed comes back he can give more details.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 12:19 PM

Yea, that's why I left it uncertain or at least that was the intention.

But then again, the submersible pumps probably are not designed for a continuous duty cycle.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2008, 03:34 PM

I think Ballengerb has it. A frozen supply line would have no effect on the pump. In fact, as long as it was frozen its effect would be to keep the pump from running at all. Once it thaws, it would leak and cause the pump to run more than normal.

Now if the frozen line was the pipe from the pump to the pressure tank, it would be a different story, but I very much doubt that would be the case.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 05:00 PM

Where is the pressure tank and pressur switch located. If it is in the house that had the freeze, then yes your pump could very well have been ruined do to contanst running.
    Did you seem to have more pressure in your house at the time?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen submersible pump [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Catskills on the mountain and neighbors that have wells have sulphur smelling water. So I take the water from the brook that runs by my house, a brook that is fed with springs about 1/4 mile upstream. Last night it was so cold that my submersible pump in the creek froze. It was partly up...

Submersible vs jet pump [ 13 Answers ]

I have a well that is 44 ft to the bottom. The well is 500 feet to the cabin. The cabin is up hill 30 feet on a slow incline. Which pump would work the best in this situation. The well is an old 8 inch steel pipe well.

Submersible Pump [ 6 Answers ]

A friend asked me to hook up his water pump. He has the red black yellow and green wires running to the house, which he wants hooked up to the box. This is not right is it. I thought that power came from main box to a control box and these wires hooked to control box from pump?

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

View more questions Search