Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bodhibenson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 06:42 PM
    Hooking up a baseboard heater
    I've been trying to hook up a couple of baseboard heaters, both w/double pole thermostats directly on the heaters. The people I bought the house from ran power to the first heater then from there to another. The first works fine and the thermostat controls the temp as it's supposed to but the other is heating constantly whether it's on or off. On the first heater I ran both power wires to the red wires on the thermostat (line) and then the black wires on the thermostat (load) I connected the white and black wires that run to the second heater and two black wires that connect directly to the baseboard. On the second heater I ran the two power wires to red on the thermostat and the black wires on the thermostat I connected to the two black wires going directly to the heater. I have not idea what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 07:23 PM
    If you are unsure of what you are doing--STOP HERE
    TURN OFF POWER BEFORE DOING ANY WORK ON HEATERS
    I am not sure what the units look like but the incoming wires (from the circuit breaker) and the wires going from the 1st to 2nd heater should be spliced together so that power is always going to both heaters, and thermostat 1 doesn't interrupt power to heater/thermostat 2.
    There should be a schematic with the heaters to detail the thermostat hookups.
    The line connections on the thermostat should connect to the splice referred to above.
    On the second heater the incoming wires should go directly to line connections on the thermostat. Then it is just a matter of running from the load sides of the thermostats to wherever they provide a connecton point (maybe just a matter of removing an original wire nut, undoing the splice and hooking the two wires up.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 07:45 PM
    Having a problem following your description but it sounds like you are running the second heater, as well as the first through the first thermostat. That would mean that the second would work only when the first worked and the thermostat of the second is calling for heat. Try this.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up the gas to a water heater [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a house and the gas was not yet completed to the home. The water heater is in and the water is connected to it but I need to connect it to the stub before the gas company comes and puts in the meter and turns on the gas. The gas flexible pipe is on the hot water. Do I just connect it to...

Baseboard Heater [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I tried wiring a 240v baseboard heater using a double-pole breaker and single pole thermostat. I connected both white and black at the breaker, paid attention to line/load using the black at the thermostat, wire nutted the white, and connected at the heater per instructions. When I...

Baseboard Heater Help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I have recently wired my entire house with brand new Dimplex baseboard heaters and thermostats. All of the heaters work great but the problem is the thermostats are not working correctly. The heaters turn on as soon as you move the stat dial past the lowest setting. They will...

Baseboard Heater [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wiring a 240v 1500w heater and I ran a #12 wire because the circuit is also going to double as a A/C circuit for the summer. Anyhow I followed the wiring diagram on heater and wired to a 2pole 15amp and I turned on breaker and it popped so I pulled apart the heater and looked it all over again...

Baseboard heater help [ 2 Answers ]

I have to replace a missing baseboard heater 110 volt 1500 watt all I can find at home depot Lowe's etc is 220 volt can I use one of those hooked to 110 I do understand the output would be lower but actually don't need that much heat in that room anyway Thanks Gene

View more questions Search